TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok here is what is happening, i own a 1990 cougar ls 3.8L and just recently the oil pressure has been dropping really low when im at a stop adn it has oil in it. adn now it is dropping low when im going under 30mph. i also just recently noticed a loud knocking noise coming from the drivers side valve cover. it knocks at idle adn when im drivign adn gets louder upon high rpms. does anyone have any ideas on what this problem could be?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds like your engine or oil pump is worn out. Does it do it cold or only once heated up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it does it all the time now. it does it when it is warm adn when it is cold. it sounds more of like a clacking noise also. and it sounds like its coming from the driver side valve cover

·
Registered
328 Posts
You could try a new oil pump, but I suspect that without actually measuring oil pressure that it may be time for a new engine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would hook up a manual oil pressure gauge in place of the stock sender. It may be that you have a bad sender, and a bad lifter making all the noise. Always try the easy stuff before you go pulling the bottom end.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sounds to me like the lower end is wearing out. How many miles are on it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts