TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 70mm maf off a 96 Bird. I switched the sensors cleared the computer, and took it for a test drive. It ran ok (sort of rough) but the exhaust sounded really fun. So I drove it and the check engine light kept coming on and off, it also ate more gas. I went back home and switched back to the stock one and it ran fine. Should I just get a maf off a 94-95 bird with the sensor calibrated for the 70mm maf or????

Thanks Alot Steve

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You have to get the EEC and MAF calibrated, or you will run lean/rich.

94-95 bird MAF will have same problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How exactly do I get it reprogrammed? Would I be better off getting a maf and ecc out of a 94-95 mustang 5.0 with a manual trans?

Thanks for the help Steve

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have a 94/5 70MM body and mine Sensor (the orginal 94/5 sensor died) in my car, and it runs good.. May be running lean on the top end and slightly rich ont he bottom end.. but have never had Emissions problems (Passed with flying colors)

Also remember most aftermarket MAFs run the cars leaner to get that claimed power..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GreenBird said:
You have to get the EEC and MAF calibrated, or you will run lean/rich.

94-95 bird MAF will have same problem.
Again, you are wrong. Please do some research before you post. I can't even count the number of times you have been corrected by myself or others lately.

I don't mean to get on you, but posting to correct your mistakes is getting old.

The 70 mm MAF should work fine. Jerry himself has even confirmed this, WITHOUT a chip.

The housing isn't one of the "modified" ones is it? You didn't have a leak somewhere did you?

John

·
Registered
489 Posts
I too have talked to the man with no name and he told me that it may or may not work and that it is a crap shot if it works great of not then your sol

Josh

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well, according to Jerry, the transfer functions are nearly identical, so running the 70 mm should be no problem, and a great budget upgrade.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
94-97 MAF

which senser is better for the 93 tbird 5.0 , i use a 70mm housing from a 96 but i use the senser from my 93 5.0. is the 96 senser better than the 93 for the 70mm.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Your 93 sensor will be fine. The 96-97 sensor is a different style of connector and will not simply bolt in.

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would like to thank everyone for the input. The maf is a stock 96 with no mods done to it. I put it on the same way I put the other stock maf came on and off, so I pretty sure there was no leaks. My buddy double checked the tightness and it was all good. Is there a way to check for leaks like with carb clean??????

Thanks again Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts