TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into the car after work, started and turned on the AC.. about 2 min of idling, the car dies. Restarting, it idles very rough and blows black smoke out the tailpipe. I get a burning or egg smell. If I give it gas over 2500rpm, it runs fine.

Just guessing: idle air controller, clogged cat, or bad computer? I really don't know where to look.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like a sensor died a fast death. I would check in this order. TPS, CTS then MAF.

Try unhooking the MAF for a while, go start the car and give it 3 or 4 minutes or so to see if the bad idle goes away on its own. No need to drive it. This lets the computer run in limp mode in the absence of the MAF.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, changed the IAC under warranty. Its wasn't the problem though. I cleaned the MAF. The problem seems a little sporadic now. Unplugging the MAF does help. The car does not die with the MAF unplugged, just seems a bit sluggish.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All fixed! Turned out to be a bad MAF. Still kinda surprised it didn't throw any codes though...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm thikning since it happened so fast, the computer didn't even have time to give it a code..

·
Banned
754 Posts
Don't mean to hijack a thread here, But I didn't want to start a whole new thread for a similar problem.

My engine idles a little bit roughly, just a TINY bit..... it actually purrs, but its a bit "bumpy" and I can feel it in the car.

What could I do to smooth it out so it doesn't "rumble"?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Most idle issues involve the Idle Air Control Valve. They can be cleaned, but Ford says to replace them only. A dirty plug or faulty plug wire can also make for a "bumpy" idle.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also check motor mounts.. ;)

·
Banned
754 Posts
motor mounts should be fine, my idle issues seem like a problem not due to the engine being loose.

When it's cold, the damn thing has this purr, and smoothness that you can fall it love with. it's this beautiful smooth humming/purring sound, and you can feel it in the car, a steady constant feel that matches the sound, running like it should.

then it warms up, and still purrs, but the vibrations don't match the sound anymore :( its a little rumbley.....

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Make sure your ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor is good. Since you say gets worse as it warms up this could be it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts