TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,520 Posts
Certainly.

Any more details you can provide? What troubleshooting have you done so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly.

Any more details you can provide? What troubleshooting have you done so far?
i haven’t done much, and I don’t have many details except that it runs fine when it’s slightly cold and as it gets hotter the idle gets rough but only in drive in park it’s fine. It feels like it has lack of power.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,520 Posts
Given the description... first thing I would try, since it's easy and involves next to no work, is to unplug the MAF sensor and drive it for a bit (keep it local). It's normal for the car to idle a little worse with it unplugged but if it runs better on the road, it could be a problem with the sensor. Commonly they get dirty and need to be cleaned - if that doesn't help it might need replacement. Something else you can try is to keep your foot on the throttle slightly to see if you can keep it from stalling without getting the RPM up too high (e.g. keep it under 1000).

Any codes (is the service engine soon light on)? Do you know any recent maintenance history? E.g. plugs, wires, fuel filter, vacuum hoses replaced, transmission fluid replaced etc.

Reactions: VulpeculaExosso

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the description... first thing I would try, since it's easy and involves next to no work, is to unplug the MAF sensor and drive it for a bit (keep it local). It's normal for the car to idle a little worse with it unplugged but if it runs better on the road, it could be a problem with the sensor. Commonly they get dirty and need to be cleaned - if that doesn't help it might need replacement. Something else you can try is to keep your foot on the throttle slightly to see if you can keep it from stalling without getting the RPM up too high (e.g. keep it under 1000).

Any codes (is the service engine soon light on)? Do you know any recent maintenance history? E.g. plugs, wires, fuel filter, vacuum hoses replaced, transmission fluid replaced etc.
it also has no check engine light, I just did spark plugs last weekend and so I have to drive is around a bit and see if that helps, but yeah holding the pedal slightly down keeps it from stalling.

·
Super Moderator
12,538 Posts
Yeah, I did ... long ago. Your idol air control sensor (IAC) sensor is going out. Replace it.

Do other prevenative maintenance including cleaning the MAF (as mentioned previously), replace the fuel filter and drop a can of seafoam in the gas tank to clean the injectors.

Reactions: VulpeculaExosso

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much!!!

I

I have no history on the car, all I know is someone didn’t take care of it...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
So what happened here?

Lots of possibilities, part of the problem could be the cooling fan is trying to draw more current than the alternator can handle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a similar issue recently that turned out to be a vacuum leak from an old cracked hose coming off the rear of the plenum. Also, make sure vacuum is not being applied to your EGR valve at idle. Unplug the vac hose going to the top of the EGR and see if there is suction, there should be very little to none. This sounds like a classic vacuum leak or EGR issue to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts