TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have the means necessary to aquire a mark 8 motor and a whole 04 cobra top end including supercharger. I have searched and would like to know what all do I need to change on the mark motor to put the cobra top end on it? This is going into a 96 thunderbird witha t56 swap as well.

Anyone who has done this swap can you please give me some advice and tips please? I would like to have this car done by July 23rd.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,974 Posts
Thehe cobra front drive accessories are what drives the blower, you need the pulley bridge bracket, the alternator delete bracket, the alternator mounting brackets, the alternator itself, the timing chain cover, and the crank pulley and bracket. Some say the front drive costs in the ballpark of $2,000 alone. Dont forget to add in the cost of a forged rotating assembly.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Should I just buy the whole motor?
Without knowing the prices involved, or what is wrong with either engine, it's kind of hard to answer that question. You are going to need a lot of parts from the Cobra engine if you're wanting to run that supercharger setup. Also, keep in mind that you'll need a heat exchanger, pump, and reservoir for the liquid to air IC system, among other things.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here is the deal. My uncle has a 04 Cobra. He rolled it 2 days ago. I can get the whole car for 6k. The motor is totally stock with 31k on it. I know you cant use the cobra ecm so that is why i was going to only get the engine. I think I will by the whole car. What say you? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok here is the deal. My uncle has a 04 Cobra. He rolled it 2 days ago. I can get the whole car for 6k. The motor is totally stock with 31k on it. I know you cant use the cobra ecm so that is why i was going to only get the engine. I think I will by the whole car. What say you? Thanks for all the help.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=89775

you need to read this before making any decisions. I assume it will be pretty much the same deal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Post progress pics n let us know how it's going.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
well, it will be a while till becomes a problem so i'd just get swappin and keep checkin back here. there will be plenty of small problems along the way.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
While this swap can be done, it is extremely in depth. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think its one of those things where if you have to ask, you are not going to be able to do it. If it were me, what I would do is take the 04 cobra engine with the heads, and the T56 trans. Sell off all the supercharger parts, blower, intake, intercooler, front timing cover, etc. and then go to the junkyard and get a front cover off a MarkVIII and use the money you get from selling the 04 setup to buy a 99/01 cobra intake and a vortech for a 99/01 cobra. The 04 bottom end will all be forged already, so it will hold up to pretty much whatever you want to throw at it, and the heads and cams on that motor are a huge improvement. Doing it this way, you will have a bulletproof bottom end, a top end that's also ready for the boost, and a much easier install.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While this swap can be done, it is extremely in depth. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think its one of those things where if you have to ask, you are not going to be able to do it. If it were me, what I would do is take the 04 cobra engine with the heads, and the T56 trans. Sell off all the supercharger parts, blower, intake, intercooler, front timing cover, etc. and then go to the junkyard and get a front cover off a MarkVIII and use the money you get from selling the 04 setup to buy a 99/01 cobra intake and a vortech for a 99/01 cobra. The 04 bottom end will all be forged already, so it will hold up to pretty much whatever you want to throw at it, and the heads and cams on that motor are a huge improvement. Doing it this way, you will have a bulletproof bottom end, a top end that's also ready for the boost, and a much easier install.
I know what you mean and I wont take it wrong. I just know that there have been a lot of different ways to solve the problem with the alt. Just wondered what has worked the best? I would not even attempt this swap if I didn't feel like I was able to do it. i have had alot of experience with swapping and fabrication as it turns out. I just want it to be the most reliable and cleanest install it can be. Not like a 454 in the backseat of a chevette ya know?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Ok then. As long as you feel up to the challenge, go for it and I look forward to seeing the finished result. I do know that the torque of the eaton makes for a lot of fun on the street. I just also know that after watching Lil Mikey's thread on swapping one into an SC, it looks like a boatload of work. If it were my car, I would go with either the vortech, or maybe a kenne bell and reverse the alternator. However the longblock and the trans I would definitely swap in if I had one laying around.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
read the other tech article. The way the guy solved his alternator problem was to notch the fame and custom build a water inlet. Plan on your car being down 1 year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts