TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tbird is mad as me for wanted to sell it i think, it won't stay running if i put it in neutral it idles, but i put it in drive or reverse it dies. the battery is fine, the altinator is fine, could it be the IAC sensor? i don't know. i can't sell the car unless i fix it, and i need the money because im going to move out in a few months. please someone help!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
can you keep it running by giving it some throttle? If you can keep it running enough to drive we will be able to help diagnose it much better as problems other than the IAC will exhibit other symptoms.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes, if i keep it in neutral and touch the throttle then go to drive and keep the rpms above 1000 it will stay running, but as soon as i let off the throttle while in drive or reverse the car just dies again

·
Registered
324 Posts
tbirdchick said:
yes, if i keep it in neutral and touch the throttle then go to drive and keep the rpms above 1000 it will stay running, but as soon as i let off the throttle while in drive or reverse the car just dies again
Its either the IAC or the MLPS on the tranny. Try cleaning the IAC first with electrical
contact spray cleaner. The IAC is supposed to adjust the idle for engine load, like
when you shift into Drive or Reverse (D and R are sensed by the MLPS) If the MLPS
was giving you problems there might be shifting issues? Any shifting issues? Clean
the IAC first.

Hope this helps .

Chris................

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Cleaning the IAC never works very well, just get a new one. Try cleaning your MAF first, but if that doesn't help get a new IAC valve.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had similar problems. Raise the car up and take a good look at the crankshaft position sensor and the wiring. The car will not run correctly if it is loose or the wiring has been pinched.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Well, I did.

If it idles fine, it's not the IAC

EDIT:

I replaced the IAC with a brand new one from Ford, and it made no difference.

After three days with this same problem Tbird Chick is describing, I got a CEL for a bad maf sensor (low voltage)

Replaced MAF, car ran fine.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I betya her MAF is garbage. Cleaning won't do anything because it's probly trash. I picked up one from gagfish a while back for my 95... but the car would run OK, just whenever you got off the throttle it would want to die. See if anyone has a good used one for now. =)

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I vote IAC. With the engine off, but the ignition switch on, use a screwdriver/mag-lite/whatever and give the IAC a few solid taps. Don't bust off the electrical connector like I did. See if it'll start up/idle now. If so, your IAC is dirty. Mine does the exact same thing every so often, I just yank the IAC and spray it full of carb or brake cleaner, stick my fingers in the holes and give it a good shaking. Let it sit for 10 minutes, repeat, then reinstall.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My buddies old 1992 Crown vic developed a mis-fire and would stall only when in gear at low rpm. Neutral or park no problems.
Don't know how it was affecting or loading the electrical system, but only in gear it misfired.

Replaced the passengers side coil pack, and that fixed the problem!!!!!!

Don't know how the coil pack new the car was in drive, lol, I think it was just on the edge of failure, and the input voltage was problably lowered a little bit when the trans was in drive, and the rpms / alternator lowered.

Good Luck!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts