TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

not the best pic but check out the rear wheel, see how close the tire is to the fender, well thats with very little gas in the car and nothing in the trunk, guess what, i hit the slightest little hump in the road where the suspension compresses the tire hits the damn fender. what i have are 275x40 nitto tires mounted on 18x9 bullitt rims and i H&R sport springs. im looking for suggestions on what to do, i rolled the fender lip as far as it would go and that helped a little it only hit on a few bumps but it still hit. Im going to try to find these spring expanders that blown306 put on his car on the front, that helped alot on his situation raising the fender about an inch. but if i cant find thoes what would your suggestions be.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Air bags, they're like $65 bucks or so and I think they can be installed without removing the springs.

I noticed the rear was really close in your other thread with that pic. I've got H&Rs with a 1/4 of a coil cut in the rear and my tires are no where near that close. You have a bigger tire, but it still shouldnt be that close.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
As soon as I read your posts air bags came to my mind as well. I had the same problem and installed the bags and now only hit my unrolled fenders only once in a great while. BTW I installed the bags 7 years ago.

Mark

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I had the same problem with my 255's on 18 x 9's but they were narrow enough that rolling the lip alleviated the problem unless the car is weighted down pretty good. I know lots of people run 275's, but you can't do it with the recommended offsets I have read.

·
Registered
987 Posts
As was already mentioned...Have all the wheels machined to the proper spec for the chassis and they will fit better with no rub issues. The wheels are Mustang Bolt pattern, also meaning that they were intended and machined for a Mustang so the offset is probably +24MM and the MN12 chassis needs a +36MM offset with that size application. I am sure you already know this, but really that is the best way to make it right IMO...

Brad

·
Registered
52 Posts
cudaz101 said:
The wheels are Mustang Bolt pattern...
er, how then do these wheels fit at all? If, Stangs are 5x4-1/2, and Birds are 5x4-1/4? I must be missin sumthin again. :confused:

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
He did a Hub swap, and umm, I say roll the fenders dammit! Give her a big butt!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Maybe some weight reduction would be the way to solve it. I have removed so much weight from mine, I have 3 1/2 inches between the tire tread and the fender lips, front and rear, with Eibach lowering springs. It is higher now, than it was before I lowered it. I am running 255/45/17 on the fronts, and 275/40/17 BFG Drag Radials on the rear. I will get some pictures this weekend if I can get my camera back from my Son. Next week it will go to the scales, but I am sure it is well below 3500 now. The 3 1/2 inches space is with 8 gals of gas in the cell.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im at about 3625lbs with everything out of the car, i dont have anything in the car at the moment and it still hit. i put some spacer things in the springs that lifted it about an inch so im ok on the rubbing part, im getting airbags just gotta order them. but for now im not rubbing anything so all is cool.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:

Are you talking about air bags, like the ones with a compressor and switches?

Dave

Just curious because I'd love to bag my car.
no, airbags, made by Airlift. They are like drag bags, you put in the rear coil springs, They have a line that runs from the bag to a position in which you would like to mount them, so they can be filled and releived like your tire valve stem.

joseph

·
Registered
965 Posts
I can't wait to see it when the front is lowered too. The rear stance is awesome. I would do everything I could to keep from lifting the rear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't feel too bad, mine rub occasionally on the front and once a while in the rear under hard hits. Try the bags or do what I did. I am running 255/50/17 on my 2003 Cobras (yes there are the 17x9 on 4 1/4 Thanks cudaz101!). I had to install a spacer on top of the rear springs to raise the rear while retaining the spring rate. An aluminum or steel "doughnut" (pick your thickness), on the top of the spring will allow you to adjust the ride height until you get that perfect stance. The Tokico springs are nice but a little too soft for this combination. The rear has settled to about the same gap as the front over this last week. I will try a thicker spacer to set the rear a little higher. I have rolled the lips but the problem is the tire offset is coming right up on the flat of the fender. Also the tire size concern is not the rim/tire hitting the control arm, but the corner of the tire hitting the upper control arm bolt. Not mush room for flex, but haven’t touched so far. Has anyone modified the fenders further to fit these larger tires? I don’t want to play around while it’s like this or I may risk crunching the sheet metal. Guess I will have to wait to put them on my 92 with the stiffer/taller springs.

---Max

1 - 20 of 23 Posts