TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to rebuild a traction-lock diff from a thunderbird with 3.73 richmond gears. well im having a HUGE problem with the pinion depth. The install kit i have is for the 8.8 ford diff. My checking depth is supposed to be 2.622", but whenever i install the pinion into the case im measuring 2.662". Im .040" to deep into the case and i dont even have any shims under the bearing yet. I used the same tool on another 8.8 diff and it measured out perfect but its not with mine. Should i get the ford inner pinion bearing and race instead of using the richmond bearing and race? I dont know what else to do. Any ideas will DEFINATLY help

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
What are you measuring depth with? if you are .040 too deep you need an .040 shim (seems really high to me but I don't like richmond gears). If you are coming up too tall you probably need to adjust carrier shims.
Alan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
im .040" to far into the centerline of the ring gear. im measuring with the proform pinion depth tool. its a dial indicator type tool. so adding a shim will just put me farther into the ring gear centerline. i need to go back as in towards the driveshaft end, but i dont have any shims installed underneath the bearing to take out so this is where im lost. the tool says to measure the pinion depth without the ring gear installed, so thats how im measuring it. any other ideas??

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Your pinion gauge sucks use the shim that was originally found in that housing. and set everything else using the carrier bearings. I'm not knocking your tool I have one just like it and it doesn't work. The rotunda pinion depth gauge is the only one worth having. I can't guarantee your stock shim will work right with those gears but it should be close.
Alan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was kinda wondering if the tool sucked also. thanx 4 ur help. ill use the stock shim

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
On richmond it should be which means you need the specification from the ford gear to calculate what the shim should actually be.
Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts