TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good tricks for getting the water pump off the block on my 97 Cougar/4.6?

The same person that broke the alternator wiring harness connectors when they replaced the alternator appears to have tried (unsuccessfully) to change the water pump. I am trying ot change it, because the car is running warm, and the radiator was only about 20-25% blocked (Someone put in the special purpose Ford Orange coolant for the NEWER Cougars and some Ranger, and it ended up with a jello like substance). The two tabs near two mounting holes are already broken off, I can't get it to budge!

I mean, there are only the four bolts holding it on, but it is a tight fit into the iron block, I took off the alternator in the hopes that would get me someplace, but I am still stuck.

I am trying to ice down the pump and see if that helps, I don't think I can get the block hot enough to do any good.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If you have the 4 bolts out i would suggest taking a flat head screw driver and lightly tapping between the block and pump to brake the seal in a couple spots. Do not take the hammer to the pump itself in anway it will break it. It should come out if you take your time

·
Registered
627 Posts
Matt hit the nail on the head. Tapping is your friend when it comes to stuck things. Especially when it involves the cooling system. Brute force WILL break the iron parts. Tapping, patiently, will eventually break the corrosive bond. Penetrating oil is a good third ingredient.

1. Patience
2. Tapping
3. Penetrating oil
4. Repeat until part is out

When you start to get frustrated, it's time for a break.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ya i actually had to do this a couple weeks ago with my PI intake swap so i have recent experience :) what kinda of replacement pump are you putting in. OEM??? or a stang one

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so a little deep creep, a bag of ice and water, and a screwdriver between the pump and the block in two places, a dead blow hammer, and walking away a couple of times did it! I think the ice bag on the pump helped the most, because everything I did before that finally resulted in something happening. The old pump is abused, they tried to use a pipe wrench to turn it to free it, the webbing to the snout was all dinged up. I am glad I got a new pump, I don't think they would have taken that back for a core.

I got a stock aftermarket replacement from Vatozone. I don't think the Cobra pump will help me out, I don't run high RPMs, and most say that even thought it is a more efficent design than ours, it might give up a little low speed circulation.

I finally got to try out the tranny after doing the J-Mod. Yeeeehaaaaaaw. My little secret is that I like the reverse engaging faster almost as much as the better shifts. I could read a chapter in a book between moving from park to reverse before. It is not abusive, just really really fun. I will probably do a chip to firm them up a little more, but they are faster and firmer now. When manually shifting to first, it does drag a rear tire, but it did that before, now it does it closer to when I manually select first, not 2 minutes later once I am going slower than 7 mph.

Now I just hope that between the 20-25% clogged radiator, flushing the jello (ford orange mixed with green) and getting the sweater that was being formed on the radiator AND replacing the pump (which was likely still good, nothing out the weep hole) that it doesn't run hot anymore. I don't want it to be a mechanical problem like head gaskets. Next I will do a compression check and take it to a shop to do a coolant pressure test to see if cylinder pressure is going in there from a head gasket.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Sounds like you're on your way.
Good stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts