TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 1994 T-Bird LX 3.8L. About 1000kms ago, I rebuilt the engine after it blew a head gasket and hydraulicked a piston. When the engine was apart, i decided to do a few small performance mods to it. I got a new performance grind put on the cam, I gutted the MAF, and a few other minor things. I'm happy with the performance of my car (0-60mph in 8.5 seconds) but just recently it has started to stall when i come to a stop. The idle is also uncertain, and it surges quite a bit. What the hell is going on? I thought maybe its because i gutted the MAF, but the problem startedjust a few days ago, and the MAF has been gutted for about a month. Could it be the throttle position sensor, air bypass valve? Help!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im with J-Rob. Get another MAF and so what happens. All of you other people with this notion please take notice. Gutting the MAF is not a good idea. More trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was i an idiot for gutting the MAF? does it help performance at all?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
dgreig said:
was i an idiot for gutting the MAF? does it help performance at all?
its like ripping out the nerves that tell your brain how much air is in your lungs.

idiot may be too harsh of a word. well... no it isnt. the thought is what counts though right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks, i guess it's to a wrecking yard i go.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had a similar problem when i gutted my MAF housing... it didn't stall but it made my RPM's ALLL messed up. I ended up just replacing it. The housing itself isn't too hard to get a hold of... that's what i would do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
easy now. Figured it out already, so the Canadian bashing must stop. I removed the Throttle Position sensor, and water shot out from underneath it. Why this happened, I don't know, but now that the sensor is no longer drowning in boiling water, my Canadian bird runs like a dream.

·
Registered
607 Posts
When you gutted the MAF did you remove the sensor, or just the metal screen. If it was just the screen you have nothing to worry about. If you removed the sensor, just put it back on.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I have affended you, Sorry but some things posted sound really dumb like "hey look at me I know nothing about cars but hey I love to take stuff out and see if will help out my performance" Parden my sarcasm. Again please do not take as a personal bash just hear me out. By the way if you have a Gateway or Dell computer it was probably assembled in Mexico. Were I am from, Does that tell you American companies rather go to these other countries and get cheap labor, My answer is HELL YAH. It's the American way.

Silver

I'll get off my soapbox now.:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts