1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on here...

Story:

1996 Thunderbird 4.6

I had the AED kit on the car last fall and removed the whole system. I decided to return the car to stock. I finished putting everything back together today and tried to turn it over and I hear the fan running and that's all. I have power but nothing. I think it has to do with the EEC computer, because when I unplugged the EEC it did the same thing. All the gauges are goofy too, the fuel and battery gauges are out of whack. I even tried to plug in the old EEC with the AED tune and it did the same thing, if though there was no EEC. Not sure what's going on here, I checked over all the wiring and everything is plugged in, how could two EEC computers go out? I don't know, please help!

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Never mind I fixed the problem, it was the battery. I just bought a brand new Die hard battery from Sears since the last one has been sitting all last fall and winter. The battery terminals where painted RED and BLACK for positive and negative (duh). I was in a hurry and threw the battery in, they painted the terminals the wrong color and I hooked the battery up backwards. Luckily nothing was damaged, I feel like such a goof.

My Mom knowing nothing about cars, simply throwing out, "Did you check the battery?" I was like, " YES MOM!" Then as I go out the car, sure enough the ****ing battery is backwards.

She started right up, very strong, no problems now. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ditto on the HAHA!! That was the first thing I thought of as I started reading but thought to myself that it would be insulting to even suggest that you had it hooked up wrong..what morons to paint it the wrong colors, I'm going to be more careful the next time I get a battery..

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lied, now I have a new problem.

She will crank, but will not turn over. I have 40 PSI at the fuel rails, so I know its not a fuel issue. Some ignition issue or the starter I'm not sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,248 Posts
I know it sounds rudimentary, but are you getting a spark?

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
One at a time, pull a spark plug off the coil pack. Hold the wire close to the coil and have someone crank the car. Look close and you should see a small arc between the two as it cranks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well it isn't going to be the starter if the engine is turning but not firing...if you hear the ''rrrr rrrr rrrr rrrr' sound then the starter is fine. How long did it run after you hooked the battery up right?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for a good 30 seconds and then I shut it off and called it a day. So yeah now its doing the "rrrr rrrr rrrr rrrr" and not turning over.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One at a time, pull a spark plug off the coil pack. Hold the wire close to the coil and have someone crank the car. Look close and you should see a small arc between the two as it cranks.
Did not see any spark between the wires or coils.

If one coil goes out does that prevent it from turning over? Both coils where from a 97 bird with 90K.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going over to napa to buy a new set of coils, see if that works.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Have you checked the fuses , you may have blown some ?

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Did not see any spark between the wires or coils.

If one coil goes out does that prevent it from turning over? Both coils where from a 97 bird with 90K.
Yeah, probably. The coil packs are usually pretty trouble free though. I did have one coil go out on one of my coil packs a while back out of the clear blue. Did you check fuses?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts