TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TODAY MY WINDOW SEPERATED FROM THE TRACK!!! I WAS ROLLING IT DOWN WHEN I HEARD A CRACK. I TOOK OFF THE DOOR TO FIND THE WINDOW SOMEHOW DETACHED FROM THE TRACK. IF I PUSH THE WINDOW BACK UP WITH MY HANDS THEN PUSH THE WINDOW UP BUTTON THEN IT WILL ENGAGE THE WINDOW AND IT WILL STAY UP AS LONG AS I DON'T PUSH THE WINDOW DOWN BUTTON. IS THERE ANY KIND OF GLUE OR SOMETHING THAT CAN FIX THIS?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
windows it held in with plastic clips, you can order them from ford.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Yes, the plastic clips can be replaced, but the adhesive is not run of the mill stuff. Talk to any place that does auto glass. It's designed to stick to both glass and nylon. Don't settle for less....it's not likely to hold up.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if your clips arent broken, then dont get new clips... but if your clips are, try and see if oyu can get some from a junk yard. i plan on doing that soon, then getting an epoxy and glueing them. -greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
just fixed this myself

if the window is detached from the clips clean the glue from the clips then put in a fresh layer of silicone glue in there (can be found at any auto parts store). make sure the clips are filled with it and put the window up. wait at least 24hrs. before trying it. if the clips are broken the guy at ford told me u had to buy the glass and all to get them so go pick them up at a junkyard.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have this thing happening with mine right now, so it's resurrection time again.

I have used contact cement and that clear. sticky, toxic Goop stuff. Not working. It's fine for a day or two.

Doesn't anyone know what this secret glue is? Any name or brand for it, or do we have to buy the "Ford OEM $20 minimum price point" version? No offense.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have fixed this twice (I know, not the best testament to my first repair!).

All the advice I found said to buy a 2-part epoxy glue and use that. I used that type of glue for both repairs. The first one lasted about a year, which isn't bad, but not great. I got a more expensive kind from Wal-Mart and did the repair again last month. It has held up well so far. Neither glue was over $5. Maybe I should have asked a glass place if they had the secret "Formula X" - type glue the OEMs use, but I think it will be all right for a while.

Just clean off the old glue on the clips and window, make sure the window is on the tracks, mix up your glue, put it in the clips, get the window all aligned, and use the switch to move the rack and clips up and engage the window. Then leave it alone for a while. (Following the directions on the glue, of course.) You may want a buddy to hold the glass up for you, and watch your fingers (!).

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've found this 2-part glue at Advance Auto Parts that works great on everything I've tried. I mixed some up on a mirror once, thinking I could just scrape it off when it was cured....WRONG! I couldn't budge it. It comes in a black double-tube syringe and the glue is white and smells like dental adhesive when you mix it.... I believe it was the Versachem brand. I looked at the Advance and Versachem web site, but I couldn't find anything that looked exactly like it, but there were several epoxies that came in the same type tube. I'll look at home tonight and see if I can find it and I'll post the name here. I don't think you could go wrong with this stuff!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Update:

I waited for warm weather and pulled the window right out and cleaned it thoroughly. I took a knife to the plastic clips and scraped at the residue off them, slid the window back in (there's a bit of a technique I discovered) and plastered "Goop" into the plastic clips. Not getting too much into detail, but I powered the window up tight and left it for 3 full days like that. It's been 3 weeks and it works perfectly-----so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there unstuck window sufferers...I have same problem...tried silicone(3types,household exterior oil based,automotive black,automotive red)...Failed...tried epoxy(3 types,5 minute2-part,24 hour marine tex,and that other one that comes in the black tubes 2-part "dental-type creamy colored)...Guess what?Failed...Tried gel-type superglues (3 different types/companies)...NFG!Even tried good 'ol JBWeld...same results. I have taken the glass and the clips out in each instance.Thouroughly cleaned and prepped,read,followed and understood all the different adhesive directions,Let the repair sit for a minimum of 48 hours and still no luck...PLEASE,PLEASE can anyone tell me what to use...Heck cost doesn't even matter anymore since I've probably spent the equivalent in time and money of purchasing a new t-bird(not really,HaHA). Thanks in advance for any info.gt

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Not to repeat a previous post above, but:

Why not just visit a local glass shop and ask them if you can buy some of their adhesive?

I am sure they will sell you some.

I have bought various products form a local glass shop, and they don't seemed bothered by it.

At the very least, they can probably show you what they use, and where they get it from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts