TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me with this issue. I have a 94 t-bird with 120k miles on it. About 2 years ago I noticed that it was hesitant to shift from 2nd to third. I switched to mircon 5 and deeper pan and filter for that pan. This fixed that issue for a while. It was also getting hot on hot desert days 105 degrees plus. I noticed that the fan was not running on high speed only low. I figured it was the controller module. recently on a very hot day I noticed that my battery amp guage was dipping low. It got so low that lights on the dash started to flash and the car died. I changed out the battery and had the alternator checked (good). I thought it fixed the issue. Today I had the same problem I had my wife in another one of my cars come out and jump me, and the amps for the battery went up about one fourth of the way and ran the car for about a quarter mile until it died again. I did this a couple of times until I thought that it could be the module that controlled the fan, because on an normal 110 degree day the car would get hotter, but today it didn't for some reason it didn't. I unhooked the electrical fan connection and made it home. Am i correct in thinking that the fan control module could have a short in it and stuck the fan on high speed and shorting out the electrical system of the car. Leaving the t-bird to run cooler because the fan is stuck on high but drain the battery? The first time that i had this issue the 60amp fuse in the fuse box was burnt. I replaced it but it didn't help. I was also wondering if the fan could be bad also?
Any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Running the fan on high all day won't really hurt anything per se... or drain the battery, you may have a more complicated issue.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I had an alternator regulator go bad intermittently before. could still be a charging issue.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I read somewhere on here before that sometimes the alternator can short out on the throttle or cruise control cable (can’t remember which one). It looks like a definite possibility, mine is only like a 1/4" from the alternators terminal and is bare metal in that area.

Just thought Id throw that out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

I have recently replaced the battery and the alternator regulator and I sitll have the problem. I had the alternator checked and it checked good. I chased down the burnt 60amp fuse and it was for the electric raditor fan. I was wondering if there is a check for the controller module and for the fan? So that I can narrow it down to the fan or the control module.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle cable short

I noticed that the throttle cable would hit the back of the alternator, when I had it off of the car, and zip tied it out of the way before it could cause a problem.

Thanks,
Vince

1 - 6 of 6 Posts