TCCoA Forums banner

Help with 98 Mustang GT

628 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  StangerBlues 
#1 ·
Ok I got a 98 mustang gt and started having problems after bad gas(water in it). So it starts up and idles fine, drives fine for about 2-3mins and then its like I have no gas pedal at all. I have cleaned the lines, replaced fuel filter, cleaned tank and fuel injectors, and still same thing. Any thoughts on this would really be appreciated.

#5 ·
Are there any active or pending DTCs? Are there any smells or sounds you can identify as it's running poorly? My first thought as I was reading your post was "clogged cats" but the inconsistency in the symptoms all but rules that out.

With a full tank of fuel the pump is not likely to overheat. IME when a pump is about to die, it manifests more right after startup when it's cold - but I'll be the first to admit I have not seen it all. Pressure without vacuum should be 39 PSI.

#6 ·
Thanks for reply. Here is my current set up: K&N cai, Poweflow throttle body, BBK XPipe (no cats). When it died the other night if I sat a few mins it would start up and I could drive a little bit then die again. So I'm actually leaning towards fuel pump as problem, when it cools down some its fine.

#7 ·
Do you have the means to check O2 sensor and/or MAF sensor feedback? If the O2s were affected they could be throwing your A:F when the car warms up enough to switch to closed loop fueling. Also make sure your MAF sensor is clean, it's very easy to over-oil the K&N filters - when that happens the sensor gets covered in oil and throws off fueling, timing and load calculations.

#9 ·
Update, well it end up being the fuel pump. I went ahead and replaced the whole pump assembly. Drove to gas station last night to fill tank ran perfect. Today drove it to and from work no issues, actually I gave it hell on the way home to be certain. Thanks for the great input and knowledge to help me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.