TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some problems with the upper right bellhousing bolt. Can barely get my wrench on it, much less turn it. Any secret to removing it? It's really high and hidden and not much space to work with. Any special tools suggested? Thanks.

-Leo

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
When I can't get to a trans. bolt, I use a hella long extension (like 2-3 feet long), a swivel, and a ratchet. I feed the extension w/ the proper size socket on it from the back of the trans. up to the bolt. I usually just lay w/ my feet pointing towards the front of the car and my head up a bit so I can kinda see where I'm heading w/ the socket. Usually helps to have someone on the outside guide it near the bolt. This worked on the 96 Cougar I did. May be an easier way, but this is what worked for me.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
13mm socket, swivel, about 5' worth of extensions, imapct gun. Takes 2 seconds to pop it loose.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I went from above behind the manifold. Did both the top ones from the drivers side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I ended up getting a ratcheting wrench and it worked for me. Unfortunately I've run into another problem. Can't seem to get the driveshaft out. I unbolted the pumpkin and let it hang down. I then slid the driveshaft back and then lowered the transmission a couple inches hoping the driveshaft would pop out. Unfortunately it did not. It seems as if it's almost out, but it won't come all the way out. Any advice? Thanks.

-Leo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the driveshaft out. Ended up having to bolt the tranny back onto the bellhousing (just a couple bolts) and that gave me enough space (along with the unbolted pumpkin) to yank it out. Barely cleared. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back in okay.

-Leo

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
just slide the yolk back in before you hook the crossmember back up, while the tranny is still sagging a little, and you'll have plenty of room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts