TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I know this is a T-Bird, but I have a 97 Continental.

It keeps throwing P0174 and P0171 (bank 1 & 2 Lean). The car has just over 110k on it.

I have had some idle problems with it, and some power problems as well. trouble idling at all, or having no power what so ever missing like crazy.

I have replaced the plugs and wires with motorcraft parts, replaced the MAF, Coils, and also the O2 sensors. The fuel injectors are fairly new and have less than 30k on them.

Car is my wifes daily driver, she goes through about a 1/2 tank of gas a week. We always buy gas from the same station. I put a can of Sea Foam in the tank @ every oil change.

Since the coils and wires replaced, have not had any idle issue or lack of power. Still throwing lean codes though.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Conti's are notorious for pcv boot leaks, don't know why, but I have replaced a lot of them lately.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran to advance and got myself a Engine vacuum gauge. At idle i get 16-19 in Hg vacuum according to this gauge.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
You have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, I'll trace that down, I'm fond of the smoke method to see where the leak is. What should I see for vacuum at idle?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it fluctuates when the car idles up and down, I have owned 2 97 contis, a blue one and this silver one *(my wife REALLY likes the car so when the blue one died i bought her another one)

Both of the cars would idle kinda odd, even w/o the ac on, they would idle up to like 1100 then back down to ~800 kinda like most cars would do when the ac compressor kicks on

When this car is at 850 rpm idle then it will be 19. and when it idles up it will come up to 16ish then back down to 19 when it comes back down in engine speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
ok just to make sure, when you're seeing the RPMs "idle up" you're saying that the only reason the RPMs vary a little bit is because of the A/C compressor kicking on/off? or are you saying that they fluctuate from 800 to 1100 for no reason?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya both of the conti's I've owned have done some kinda of idle up for no reason, it acts just like the ac compressor is on, even when its not.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well that in and of itself could be indicative of a vacuum leak. BUT to me the vacuum readings seem fine.

you likely have an air:fuel imbalance or a spark problem. What kind of maf did you put in there? what coils? how is your fuel pressure?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fuel pressure not sure of, that i'll have to call a buddy about a fuel pressure gauge....

Maf I put in is a stock replacement from my local Advance, Coils also stock replacements from Advance, Plugs have around 30k on them, stock Motorcraft platinums. Wires are also stock Motorcraft wires.

The car is currently running perfect except for the lean codes p0171 and p0174.

In honesty the car seems to be running smoother and stronger since i bought it a year ago. We have put about 6k miles on it since we bought it, and it never has run better. It pulls smoother and stronger when I get on the hwy or pass someone. But still throwing codes

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Fuel pressure not sure of, that i'll have to call a buddy about a fuel pressure gauge....

Maf I put in is a stock replacement from my local Advance, Coils also stock replacements from Advance, Plugs have around 30k on them, stock Motorcraft platinums. Wires are also stock Motorcraft wires.

The car is currently running perfect except for the lean codes p0171 and p0174.

In honesty the car seems to be running smoother and stronger since i bought it a year ago. We have put about 6k miles on it since we bought it, and it never has run better. It pulls smoother and stronger when I get on the hwy or pass someone. But still throwing codes
well then what exactly do you mean by

"I have had some idle problems with it, and some power problems as well. trouble idling at all, or having no power what so ever missing like crazy. "

had or have? what you just posted seems in direct contradiction to what you first posted.

If you WERE running lean before the maintenance items, then it could just be that they are still there because they haven't been cleared.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
HAD problems with power, still have problems with idle "swell" after maintenance items. Codes were cleared with a scanner, and immediately come back.

edit: sorry about the confusing posts

2nd edit: My wife just called saying the car would not idle after she started it. I had her start the car with her on the phone and it spit and sputtered a bit, then cleared up and was fine on the drive back home for her.

LOL 3rd edit: My wife was out at the house, car wont start now :(
When i get home from work in about 1.5 hours. i'll try and see why it wont start. It turns over fine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, so I get to where the car is, and sure enough, it'll crank over and fire couple times, then die....

I hold the throttle open a bit and have her crank it, it runs real rough, then smooths out about 2500 with the throttle open a touch, I let go of the throttle and it settles down to a nice smooth idle.

I drive it home, and it has very little power, doesn't want to accelerate much, and hardly at all in 2nd gear.

I grabbed an incense stick, and wave it on all the vacuum lines, it does not appear that I have a leak anywhere.

The car is idling smooth and steady while I check the vacuum lines atm.

what should i be looking for around the crank sensor? Broken/Torn wires?

Also should the ecu not tell me it cannot see, or thinks the crank sensor is bad?

The blue car i had b4 this told me the cam position sensor was bad at one point and i replaced it.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the problem with the ecu not telling you about the crank sensor, is that the engine needs to be running for it to conduct any diagnostics :tongue:

broken/torn wires are sometimes the culprit for a lack of crank sensor signal, which the ecu needs to fire spark.

I would bet on either the maf or fuel pressure in one form or another. Maybe even the coils.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I get what your saying. I'll check and see what the wires are like. And also see if I can track down a fuel pressure gauge. It ran perfect this morning when I drove it to work same yesterday. Only started with the not running after the wife picked it up. I should have what 45 psi fuel pressure correct.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would first go after the idle air sensor ruber hose. my mustangs 4.6 did the same thing in a way i replaced the hose and it idles fine now. The idle air sensor is probably not getting enough normal pressure running threw the intake tube to the sensor. If it didnt clear up some there might be anouther leak some where. also check thewires to the crank sensor as well i had to replace the one from the cougar.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
unplug that MAF, see what happens. sometimes those things are crap right out of the box from parts stores. if it runs fine unplugged, head to the dealership and buy a good motorcraft one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts