TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out why my car was acting like crap and its because the cats had gone bad or rather are plugged up. So I purchased a cat forward assembly from an eBay company. Though the picture showed two resonators and not a one piece resonator like the stock assembly has, that was all I had to tell that it was the right setup. It listed the assembly for 94-95 3.8l Tbird / Cougar. I get the item and it has one o2 sensor socket, a pipe out the end of the exhaust instead of a ball and the passenger side is not the same layout as my OEM assembly. Needless to say it would not fit. I wrote them pointing out all the issues, sent pictures and the final answer from them was they sent the correct part and if I want, I can return it. The shipping is $160 and I have to pay it.

This is the item I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1994-1995-Ford-Thunderbird-3-8L-V6-GAS-OHV-Catalytic-Converter/202693911301?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=40718&meid=ee5d3826685744e89b603876f6779aa4&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=202693911301&itm=202693911301&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

From the attached pics, you can see the new assembly does not have a ball on the end of the exhaust to the cat back, which points to the 89-90 3.8l that required an extension pipe (see diagram). The passenger side exhaust does not have an o2 sensor port and the passenger side exhaust mount is tilted more than the OEM assembly. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

My question is:

Was there only one cat forward assembly for the 94-95 3.8l Cougar / Tbird including the Super Coupe? To my knowledge, there is only one type for the 3.8l.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
I get the item and it has one o2 sensor socket, a pipe out the end of the exhaust instead of a ball and the passenger side is not the same layout as my OEM assembly. Needless to say it would not fit. I wrote them pointing out all the issues, sent pictures and the final answer from them was they sent the correct part and if I want, I can return it. The shipping is $160 and I have to pay it.
If they want to play that game, start a return case with eBay and select "doesn't fit/doesn't match photos" and eBay will force the seller to pay the shipping - I seriously doubt it's $160 from NM to CA - in reality it's probably closer to $70 or $80 (unless you already went and calculated return shipping and it is indeed $160!?). If the item doesn't fit the vehicle it's advertised to fit, then it's a problem with the manufacturing of the part and it is not classified as a type of return where you would have to pay to get it shipped back (only items where you change your mind, didn't like it, etc. require you to pay return shipping). Be sure to include the photos you posted here in the return case if they try to dispute it. If you start a case with doesn't fit as the reason, they are basically locked in to accepting the return, paying the shipping, and refunding you 100% within a few days of receipt.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they want to play that game, start a return case with eBay and select
Thanks for the feed back, it helps a lot. Amazing isn't it? How messed up people can be instead of just saying "we goofed".

Yes, tomorrow marks the 4th day after starting communication with the company so I can file the claim tomorrow.

BTW: The company is a Canadian company on the east side. And get this, AFTER shipping the item, they asked if I could pay some of the shipping since it was going to cost so much (basically I was getting the item for $100 + shipping) to ship to NM. I paid the $60 out of the $160 to be honest and help them out. I got suckered on that! It was also one piece, so yeah, it would be expensive to ship.

I will update as I find out more from eBay. Basically, my wife said the same thing, eBay will just suck up the claim and the company will have to pay the shipping.

I could have sworn from all the research I did on cat forward for this car, there is NO other models but the OEM assembly the car came with for my year and engine. Where do they get off saying this is the correct fit?

I bought another one from another company cause my car is REALLY FRIKEN LOUD with wide open headers. It should be here by Monday. It is a three piece unit. I wanted to drive the car around the neighborhood to piss of all the A-holes that have glass packs, Harley's with open pipes and dip $h!ts that have motorcycles without a decent muffler... Oh, I am bitching again... sorry bout that.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
Looking at the angles on that right side downtube, I suspect this part would fit an 89-93 car. I don’t know for sure about the 3.8NA, but the early SCs and the 5.0 cars had that sharp angle on the passenger side manifold, and for the 94/95 SCs it was revised to be more of a straight shot, like what your factory pipe looks like. Also on the 89-93 SCs, the O2 sensor one one side, I believe it is the driver’s side, is in the manifold, so the downtube on that side does not have the O2 sensor bung. They also didn’t have any O2 sensors after the cats, since it was OBD1.

Having said all that, like everyone else said, file a complaint with eBay and they should take care of it, since you can clearly document that it doesn’t fit. Also in the future for catalytic converters, I recommend going with Magnaflow’s direct fit cats. I know they are more expensive, but they are made of stainless steel, have mandrel bends, last a long time, and most importantly they always fit right! If a car comes in my shop needing a cat, I won’t even offer any of the cheaper ones because half the time they don’t fit right, and even if they do, they usually fail within 2 or 3 years, so it isn’t worth messing with them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MadMike, always appreciate your input.

I would seriously replace the cat and exhaust with a better product if I knew this car was going to be around for another 4-5 years, but the wife is harping on me about getting a new car. So, if I can get this to run good, then use it for a trade in or just set it outright, I will be happy.

Filling complaint now.

Will update soon.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I lost the battle. PayPal sided with the seller, though they insist it will fit a 94 - 95 3.8l TBird / Cougar.

I am going to post another "help" on what to do with the one I have (as shown in the pics) to make it fit my car.

Shipping was like $150 and I have to pay it. I already put $300 into the purchase and it would cost less to modify this piece to work on my car.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
How the **** does that happen when you have pictures clearly showing different angles at the downtubes, and complete lack of O2 sensor bungs where ones should be?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How the **** does that happen when you have pictures clearly showing different angles at the downtubes, and complete lack of O2 sensor bungs where ones should be?
Exactly what I was screaming about... Damn Canadians! lol... just kidding.

The owner of this business is a real peach. I am still trying to get the PayPal record showing why they were allowed to win on this issue. PayPal sucks when it comes to these types of issues.

For my own sanity and keeping my ego intact, I am having to just say "you win some, you lose some"... "mistakes are what learning comes from" bla bla bla… I basically got screwed by both eBay and PayPal.

Go figure.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the latest of my issue with the first cat forward system I bought. I went to PayPal with a complaint and after an exhausting search to find out why the case was not moving and all they wanted was me to return the item for a refund, I found out that PayPal cannot make the company refund the shipping costs, even though they advertised a product that does not fit.. After paying $300 for the kit and possibly having to spend another $160 to ship it back, it was not worth my money to send it back. I lost this one fight but am all the wiser about buying from Canada and ensuring that what I am buying is what fits. Basically, the company in Canada, Cal North Auto Parts (ebay name - calnorthautoparts) is trying to sell a cat forward system that does not fit a 94-95 3.8l Tbird / Cougar. They swear that it is the correct fit - ha! No use arguing with them either. So beware, they already have two 1 stars for not honoring the free shipping. If you can't support what you claim, then put in your notes for shipping that they may not honor the shipping depending on location. Dah.

Anyway, as mentioned in another post, I cut up the passenger side cat piping and got the exhaust to fit and work, but still no O2 bunt.

I did find a full cat forward from RockAuto that when on close out AFTER I was going through all this crap with this company and it cost me as much as getting a new cat with a O2 bunt.

In short, I have the correct cat forward assembly and have some options on what I can do with the my exhaust. I will post another question about some mod's to the exhaust.

Thanks all for the feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts