TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a Sport-Trac. The cruise control will not work. When he clicks to engage the cruise control the light comes on then right back off. It will not stay set.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

The relay is not on the break pedal, According to other information the relay is off the master cylinder or something with the break line, Forgot exactly what it said.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
check the wires inside the steering column.. thats a notorious problem with ALL fords... (especially the foxbody & mn12 birds) pop off there column cover and check everything in there n make sure its all dandy like n all... after that i would check the brake pressure sensor for the c/c.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the wiring, but figured since it was sending the signal in the first place, that wouldnt be it, doesnt hurt to check though. There is not pressure switch on the break pedal, this is what ford says:

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5957 More Info {#1F1Z9F924AB}
From 8/19/02; Located On Brake Pedal; Deactivator

Or

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6349
Assembly Only, Mounted In Brake Line Or Master Cylinder; Deactivator (Have yet to locate this one)

The truck has a date of 08/2003. And i dont see the switch on the Break pedal, only the Brake light switch.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
brake line as in brake-to-M/S linkage or like the actual hoses.. my guess would be in the linkage but that can be a ***** to get to

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those were my thoughts exactly. Was hoping someone on here could give me a direction to start.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The switch is threaded into the master cylinder, has 2 wires going to it, and is prone to catching fire on some trucks. There was either a recall or a bulletin on this issue (I forget which it was, I think a recall) and those vehicles that were serviced under it had a fuse added to the wiring running to the switch. Look at the wires going to the switch, if they are burned then there's your problem. If it has the update done to it, look for a label on the harness, it will say something about a non-replaceable in-line fuse that is installed there and if it blows then you need to replace the fuse-section of the harness again. Of course, it could be that you have nothing more than a bad deactivator switch, and if that's the case it can be replaced simply by unscrewing it from the master cylinder.

Good luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Or a dealer did a pre recall procrdure and removed the plug from the master cylinder switch and taped it up in anticipation of the release of the recall parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts