TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am currently a high bidder on ebay for an auction, which is for a 7.5" Cone style posi rear setup that was pulled from a 1984 Ford Ranger. Its not the entire rear end, just the posi part. Now I had asked the guy if it would fit into my 1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8Lv6 and he said he wasn't sure. He also said he has a 7.5" Clutch Style posi he pulled out of a 1996 Aerostar which is a van I think. He said if I win the auction, that I can choose whichever one I want, the 1984 cone posi or the 1996 clutch posi. Now I have little, to no knowledge on rear ends (sept my woman's rear =-P) I need to know which one to pick! And, he also has 3.73 ring & pinion gears, do they fit in ANY 7.5" ford rear?! Ok, here is a link for the cone style posi that i am the high bidder for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2430865397&category=33731

I thank all who reply, in advance! Helpful replies will be greatly appriciated!!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
it will fit, 28 spline, you are good to go. If you want 3.73s, you can get them for the 7.5 rear. The ford PN for the 7.5 3.73s are M-4209-L373.
joseph

·
Registered
773 Posts
You want the Clutch type one as the cone type is not rebulidable! The 3.73s will work in your pumpkin. You should have new clutches put in posi. when you have it and the gears swapped in also you will have to replace the bearings in on the posi and pinion bearings. this will get quite costly easily running into $350 to $450 at the shop to install the posi and gears. You would be better off finding a 8.8 posi out of a supercoupe to swap in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have to second the vote for the clutch type unit in the auction. However, I think you'd be better off getting an 8.8 pumpkin from a Super Coupe or other V8 MN12. They're not that hard to find and not very expensive. By the time you set up the 7.5 with the gears you want, you could have done it cheaper with an 8.8. The rebuild parts for an 8.8 (gears, traction lok clutch kits) are cheaper than for a 7.5.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They're not that hard to find and not very expensive.
I have a salvage nearby with lots of T-Birds, but no SCs;
What's the easiest way to spot one with a T-lok pumpkin?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Neither ebay carrier will be a bolt in because the side gears will not have the groove for the IRS haftshaft retaining clips. Also you will not be able to use the side gears from the Cougar if it was an open carrier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i need a modified halfshaft peice i can get that at my dads parts supplier, and I hopefully will be getting 3.73 gears for this posi setup...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts