TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Well the time has come to sell my T-Bird.
It is a 1994 LX
4.6l V8
No moonroof.
No power antenna
Power driver seat
PW & PL & PM
Red exterior, fresh paint
Grey and black interior.
Stock Stock Stock
This car has not been modded and is perfect for someone that wants to build there own vision.
It has a Razzi body kit and a tailwing (a small one- no rice here)
155,000 kilometres (approx 96,000 miles)
No major accidents, none over $2000cad (that is the legal limit we must declare here in British Columbia)
The passenger lock was damage on an attempted break, all repaired.
Two minor fender benders many years ago.
This car is straight and runs great!
no cracks in dash.
Seats are mint or near mint. Rear seats seldom used. Front seats have had sheepskin covers since I bought her in 1996. Took them off recently for shampooing of interior....sweet condition.
Carpets are in very good condition.
Stock 15" mags with 255/60/15 rubber on them.
I get a combined 20MPG usually. Best mileage ever was 33MPG on a roadtrip to Alberta (very flat driving)
This Bird could use new front brakes but I figure it is best for the new owner to do them so they have the option of going to a place that gives lifetime parts warranty, no point in me having a parts warranty and selling it off.

What I am looking for from you folks is this:

How much should I expect to get for this T-Bird?
I have a number in mind, but I want to know from those of you that are in the TCCOA club and have experience with this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1994 Ford Thunderbird
Coupe 2D LX
96,000 miles

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price $1,925 $2,800 $3,450

Mileage Adjustment
96,000 miles add: $96 $96 $96

Total Price $2,021 $2,896 $3,546

this is what i pulled off of NADA

Steve

take into consideration you should use the Average retail price as High Retail is set for a car in showrrom condition with no flaws at all

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Steve.
But I am not looking for the prices in NADA or the KBB or the Red book/ Black Book.
I am trying to determine how much I should be able to get for my Bird.
KBB and NADA list prices that often thousands below the actual average resale prices.
For example right now in the local buysell there are 94's for sale between $4000cad and $12,000cad.
Five of them are V6's and the one for $12000 is an SC.
The average price you listed is only $3808cad
I am looking to find out the most I should try and get for my car from some of you that are in the know.
I am leaning toward asking $8300cad obo.........what do you think?

Thank you

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd ask what you think is fair for the car and be willing to negotiate. The people here generally seem to think that NADA and KBB are high, not low. But the only tbirds and cougars I see for sale around here on Autotrader (NE Ohio) are running as much as $7500. (and that's for a 96-97 V6!!!)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
In my opinion, you will be lucky if you get $3000 US for it.

A 95 4.6 with 68,000 miles (just up the road from me) sold for under $3500 this past fall.

I passed on a 97 4.6, with 70,000 miles, with an advertised price of $4800, which he would have lowered to sell.

The used car market is a buyer's market right now, not a seller's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The reason I always use NADA is that is what used car dealers use for thier pricing, I happen to be in the used car business, I dont buy or sell but what I do is go to dealers and put whats called Maronie labels on the windows and put thier vehicles on the web. After doing this awhile you get a feel for what dealers will sell thier cars for, I never try to go by what a private seller will ask because more times than not a private seller will ask thousands above what the car is actually worth (as will a dealer) because they have an attachment to thier car and feel it is worth alot more than it really is. Basically you need to feel out in your area what you can resonably get for your car, like rollingthunder said right now is a buyers market so you have to be reasonable as to what you ask because someone will just see the price and not even bother to look at the car, so unfortunatly its all a game that you have to ask just a few dollars above what you really want and drop your price to that to make it look like your giving them a great deal

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts