TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is a short video of my motor starting up and running. You will hear the distinct noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. It started randomly a week or two after the car was tuned. I need any ideas on what you gentlemen think this noise could be.

Also: It doesn't really do it at idle, it happens above that.

-It is not PTV contact, this motor has been in for 2 yrs now
-I have oil pressure on the gauge (don't know what though)
-I have already replaced the lifters on this side of the motor
-I have also replaced the Timing chain tensioners

Specs on motor:
.20 over Low Comp forged Pistons and rods
Stock PI heads and Intake

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbohmnbbWv0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbohmnbbWv0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
wow it sounds top end related like a lifter but it continues more rapidly and loudly on acceleration, could be a knock? have you checked the oil for metal shavings? Rude's old bird is making that sound as well, supergordo and I are thinking badly after finding metal shavings in the oil. Only true way to tell on that car is an exploritory tear down, hopefully yours wont come to that. Start by checking the oil for shavings. You've done everything else I would have done.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, no shavings in the oil. I just want my baby back on the road :xpcry:

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
you see, it was that uber badass rearend of mine that did that..

:tongue:

seriuosly though....it almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but it would do it at idle too.
you sure its not the blower?
have you tried running it with the belt off?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good day,

I can't hear the noise while I'm at work, but just my thoughts on it might be a spark plug that isn't torqued all the way... The reason for my idea is because the only thing that has changed prior to the noise is the tune-up... The week or two could be the time needed for the spark plug to work it's way loose... I'd pull, inspect, and re-torque the plugs... I really hope this is all it is...

Good luck!!

Cheers!!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Rod slap.

Pull it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Over the computer it sounds like something external to the engine. I would take the belt off the blower and see what it does.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still makes the noise with the belt off, I had thought about the blower as well.

and fourdotsixliter, the plugs were fine, it wasnt a tune up it was a dyno tune.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
still sounds top end but more than likely I'm thinking rod knock hate to say it but only an exploritory tear down will tell you, might have detonated ,pinged, or misfired while they were tuning it, knocked the oil out of a rod bearing, scored it and hence your knock. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard that happen.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My mom's 5.0 explorer started making that type of noise one day. We took it to the dealership and they tore down the top end of the engine(it sounded like a valvetrain noise), only to determine that it was in the bottom end. We later tore down the engine to find that one of the pistons had a piece broken off above the ringland, and it had started to score the cylinder badly. I would either pull the head, or borrow a borescope and have a peek inside. It doesn't sound good, that's for sure.

-Rob

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, ive decided to take the day off tomorrow and tear into the pig (again). so i guess we'll see.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved, cracked header.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What sucked was that I could not see the crack at all with the valve cover on.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Glad it wasn't more serious

1 - 20 of 20 Posts