TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've read tons of trans posts over the last couple years and have never seen anything definitive about my problem. My trans is J modded and shifts great in every gear except overdrive. When it goes into OD it hesitates and the RPM's jump up about 200 RPM prior to shifting. This only occurs if I am accelerating slowly, if the shift doesn't occur until after 40 MPH or so it shifts fine. The car did not do this prior to being tuned two years ago. I asked the tuner about it and he played it off something about the lockup and shift. Not knowing any better I just dealt with it. I am now worried because when I just changed the fluid and filter recently there was a fair amount of friction material in the pan. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
What you are feeling is the forward clutch releasing before the OD band applies due to hole number 8 being enlarged and the converter being unlocked when that happens. You are actually feeling it because of the extra stall on the converter you have.

Totally not going to hurt anything.

Darrin

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you are feeling is the forward clutch releasing before the OD band applies due to hole number 8 being enlarged and the converter being unlocked when that happens. You are actually feeling it because of the extra stall on the converter you have.

Totally not going to hurt anything.

Darrin
So this is not the cause of all the material in the trans pan?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well, I can only guess based on very, very limited info, but I would say that it isn't the cause of the stuff in the pan.

Now, of course I have no idea what the stuff in the pan looked like, how much of it was there or how long it had been since the pan was last taken off and completely cleaned, so I could be totally wrong. :)

Darrin

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Well, I can only guess based on very, very limited info, but I would say that it isn't the cause of the stuff in the pan.

Now, of course I have no idea what the stuff in the pan looked like, how much of it was there or how long it had been since the pan was last taken off and completely cleaned, so I could be totally wrong. :)

Darrin
Darrin-

When we last dropped the pan the magnet had the usual amount of crud stuck to it, a thin layer. Last month, I thought the amount was excessive being as it had just been done 10K or so before. Fluid was medium red, as you'd expect, not burnt or smelling bad. The car has relatively low miles and Merc V has been used exclusively. We'll just have to keep an eye on it, but Kevin was concerned that his 3rd into OD shift anomaly was somehow causing all this friction material to end up in the pan.

Jim

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darrin-

When we last dropped the pan the magnet had the usual amount of crud stuck to it, a thin layer. Last month, I thought the amount was excessive being as it had just been done 10K or so before. Fluid was medium red, as you'd expect, not burnt or smelling bad. The car has relatively low miles and Merc V has been used exclusively. We'll just have to keep an eye on it, but Kevin was concerned that his 3rd into OD shift anomaly was somehow causing all this friction material to end up in the pan.

Jim
Actually 20K but still not excessive...........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts