TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Urgent Help Needed!!!!!

Car is back together, started it, and now oil is coming out of each side of the exhaust!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
That sux!

So, what did you just do?

EDIT: Ah. PI head swap.

The easiest thing to fix is a misaligned headgasket, or you forgot them.

Most likely you swapped them left to right, but I can't remember if that causes this on a mod motor...

Were the valve stem seals gone on the heads?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the PI head swap. Don't think that I swapped the head gaskets.

Here is what I can tell from underneath:

1. Heads are dry
2. Exhaust Manifolds are dry
3. Valve covers are dry
4. Oil is being shot onto the Cats from the REAR of the engine on BOTH sides
5. Neither the front seal, nor the rear seal were disturbed/ removed during this rebuild (ONLY did heads, new oil pump, Timing set, Remote Oil filter)
6. Bottom rear of each head is dry
7. Only place it looks like it is leaking is from the rear of the engine where the trans bolts to the block on the bottom, entire firewall/ transmission tunnel is also dry.

I don't have any pinched lines that I can see where Oil would be transmitted that could be causing a pressure back-up.

Tomorrow I will check to see if I have the remote filter lines reversed (don't think I did, but can't be too sure).

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
What was the condition of the heads? sounds like maybe you could have put valve seals in them. These motors are terrible for valve seals.
Alan

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heads were brand new from Ford Racing, fully assembled.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Since they are the same head for each side, did you make sure to block off the port used for the tensioner on the back, or did they come already assembled and oriented correctly, ready to go.

Didn't use new head gaskets?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not same head for each side.

I used new head gaskets that came with the head install kit (new head bolts, gaskets)

Heads are pre-assembled and ready for bolt on. Cams installed as well, and they could only go on one way.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My guess is something to do with your remote filter lines. I can't see how oil can come out from a head swap with new gaskets and everything assembled correctly... Not the way you're describing this!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Did these "new" heads have the galley plugs in them?
Sounds like this is your problem. Spewing oil out of the back of each head? You may need to take the timing cover back off as well and make sure the oil holes for the tensioners aren't plugged if the back galleys aren't. The last thing you want to do is get the holes plugged at the back and rev the car and have it lose time and get PTV contact.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Didn't think of that

Yeh, good point guys. Years ago my brother forgot to put the plugs back in the rear of an Olds 350 engine and no oil would get to the top of the motor. Turned out plugs were left out of the block when it came back from the machine shop.

Hope you find and fix your problem!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Not same head for each side.

I used new head gaskets that came with the head install kit (new head bolts, gaskets)

Heads are pre-assembled and ready for bolt on. Cams installed as well, and they could only go on one way.
did you compare the new hg's to the old ones in terms of which one goes which side of the engine? there is a driver's side hg, and a different pass. side hg........urgently waiting on reply....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, Here's what I know. the galley plugs were on the back of the heads when I put them in, and verified that they were there tonight.

Heads are DRY internally. There is NO oil getting up to the heads at all. The entire engine is DRY except for the Cats where oil was shooting out onto them, so there is a build-up of pressure somewhere that is forcing the oil out around the rear main-seal onto the cats. Pan is dry, manifolds are dry, heads are dry, trans tunnel is dry, so is not coming out the back of the heads.

I will be pulling the Timing cover back off the front of the motor this week to check to see if the galley plugs are still installed where the timing set is, as the timing set is also dry as when I put it onto the car.

Thanks for the help guys... I'm just at a loss as to where the screw-up is.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,

Can anyone show me what plugs should be REMOVED from the front of the heads to oil the timing chain?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts