TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, my car has been making a squealing noise in more than one way.

1) When I turn the wheel, either way.
2) If I push the front of the car up and down, it makes the same noise.

I have the tires pulled off right now, both sides of the car jacked up, and had someone turn the wheel while I checked out th situation, and with them pulled off, it turns as smooth as could be. I am going to try putting the wheels back on, and keep it lifted, to see what happens. I will post a link to a vid afterwards to you guys can visually see/hear what I am talking about.

I have taken it to 2 different shops, both said that the only problem they see with the front suspension is that my inner tie rod on the drivers side has a little play in it, and that the upper/lower control arms/ball joints were still good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a vid of what I'm talking about, the first parts is the wheels turning form side to side, for about the first 30 seconds, and the rest I had someone push up and down on the car to show how it makes the same noise then.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,565 Posts
Sounds like ball joints to me...

·
Super Moderator
5,163 Posts
Here is a vid of what I'm talking about, the first parts is the wheels turning form side to side, for about the first 30 seconds, and the rest I had someone push up and down on the car to show how it makes the same noise then.

Damn. Last time I heard that sound, it was on my 1967 Mustang (was the upper control arm bushings shot - a common problem in that Wannabe-MacPherson-Strut design Ford used ... )

Upper control arms and I'd do the lower in case the lower ball joint is going bad also.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts