TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 94 lx bird and it ran great i put cold air induction and replaced my resonator witha straight pipe and did some exhaust cleaning while i was down there.

I also customeized my MAF by cutting a good part of the metal out of the center. and cleaned out the wires withwindow cleaner.

Now my problem is in the morning i start my car first time nothing, Second time starts runns at 250-300 rpms and i kill her, and the third time starts up with no problems <750-800> rpms

now if i leave right a way the first time i give her gas to take off she starts to pop alittle and is fine until she shifts then no problems until i have to start it up again.

Recently had a ping but stopped after i putt 93 octane and changed the spark plugs

My enginge light must be burnt out b/c at autozone it says too lean,too lean and bank 2

What should i do know that will fix it and won't cost an arm and leg??????????:ztoohot: :ztoohot: :ztoohot:

·
8,239 Posts
Classic example why you should not modify your stock maf. It does more harm than its worth.

When you play with the maf, you are fooling the eec, which is bad mmkay.

That is probably causing your lean condition.

Either get a 80mm maf, and get your computer tuned to accept the new maf, or get a stock maf, and don't modify it.

Both will solve your problem.

JH

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is very simple and it happened to me. I make you a bet when you removed a portion of the metal in the MAF you didn't bother removing the back plate. In order for the new MAF without that metal in their to read properly you need to remove that WHOLE piece of metal backplate. Otherwise it throws codes all day and doesn't like running very much. Just get a tamperproof torx bit and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D :ztoohot: well i took off that little peice of metel off and now she loves to do burns outs non-stop and the ping is now gone thanx so much. i never thought that little peice of metal would cause so much problems.:ztoohot: :ztoohot: :thumbsup: :headbang:

·
Registered
190 Posts
yes you can gut a stock MAF and have it running properly. I have done it before and I do think it gives some improved throttle response. Boy oh Boy is it a pain in the a$$ to get that friggen hunk of metal out and smoothed though.

·
8,239 Posts
Don't bother gutting a MAF sensor, unless you like the "rocks in a can" sound you motor will make in the future.

The right way to do it is to get a bigger ford oem maf, and have your computer tuned for the maf transfer fuction.

Maf mods are bad, mmkay.

JH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts