TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the message board for a while and you guys seem to have this stuff down so maybe you can help me. I've got a 94 bird that (for now) has the 4.6. The cats are empty, it has K&N filter, a power tower no resonator and turbo mufflers. The computer keeps throwing a lean condition code and a sensor out of range code. The car runs great for about 75 miles after i reset the computer but then the codes pop up and the car starts to run so rich it feels like it is trying to flood itself out. Sometimes it gets so bad the car backfires on acceleration from stop. This thing is my baby and all I want is my power and driveability back. If anyone out there can help me i would apreciate it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
so is it running rich or lean? if its too lean youve got to track down the fuel problem, starting with fuel pressure and go from there. too rich could be too much pressure or a failing MAF, or a bunch of other things.

if the code says lean, its probably lean ;) check the fuel pressure and go from there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have you cleaned your MAF yet? I'd do that first. It sounds like there is more going on than just that. But, there may not be. I believe a "sensor out of range" code. Means that your MAF isn't measuring the amound of air correctly. (it thinks too much air is coming in, or too little) Which *could* explain why your car runs both lean and rich at different times. I'd check for intake leaks too. (just in case)

Still check the fuel pressure like the guy before me said too. And fuel injectors.

Definitely either an air, or fuel problem though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have cleaned the MAF and it didn't seem to help. This all started about the time I removed the resonator. Could it be not enough back pressure? It seems to get worse the longer I let it go. Thanx for the help

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Empty Cats?

When you gutted the cats how did you overcome the 2nd set of 02 sensors? MIL eliminators? The second set of O2’s measure the effectiveness of the cats. I don’t know what code it will throw but it should throw a code for the gutted cats. (Thank you OBD-II) What is the actual code it is throwing, and does anyone know which O2 sensor the processor uses to detect lean/rich? The first one’s right, the seconds are only used for checking the efficiency of the cats? Which sensor is it saying is out of range?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't used the mil eliminators yet but i was told that they wouldn't help any way. That may be wrong i don't know for sure. Also i forgot to include this in my first post. Some times when i accelerate from a stop I have no power and it spits and sputters until i get up to about 2800 rpm and then the car slams me back in my seat almost like the low end timing is off. Sometimes there also seems like there is a slight hesitation at 3/4 throttle or more. This might be because it is running very rich i'm not sure. Let me know on the mil elims and any other ideas also. Thanx

·
Registered
855 Posts
dunno if this will help you in your case or not but it's worth a try,.........try disconnecting your TPS (throttle position sensor)......it's located on the right of the throttle body and has a harness connected to it w/ three wires........then run the car and see if it made any difference. also, if your O2 sensors are sendin a code 'cause the cats are gutted, you're gonna have some probs. w/o any mil eliminators or a chip.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im liking the reference to the O2 sensors. If you have gutted cats, then they arent doing what they are designed to do, which means the sensors are reporting some of the wall s$%t. Throw some MIL eliminators on it and see what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You Thank you Thank you.
I unhooked the tps and at first the car wouldn't even idle then i drove it and it drove much better. I hooked the tps back up and it drove even better. I just replaced the tps about two months ago so do you think the connector is just corroded? I couldn't tell cause it's dark here. Also who makes the best mil eliminators? I've seen a couple of different kinds (plug-in and splice-in)so i'm not sure which to use. Thanks for the help and i'll let you know if it starts acting up again
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
you can find the splice in one's for $29.99
http://www.mileliminators.com/

the plug in one's are around $39.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1851795750&r=0&t=0

or if you're tech savvy,.......make your own.
http://www.zx2racing.com/mods/mods_mil.htm

please note that i'm not sure if these will work on your bird because they state that thy're for 96+ mustangs.......you might want to contact them and if they say no, then it's time to call in for a custom chip :p

UPDATE: if you read this within the next hour and just want to take a chance,......here's a pair on ebay for $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1851071612&r=0&t=0

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I was wrong i didn't fix it i just hadn't driven the car long enough yet. Anybody got any other ideas??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
855 Posts
it's probably the codes that your O2 sensors are sending.....

the computer probably runs fine for a while 'till it detects that there's something wrong w/ the cats and then it turns on the MIL and you run like trash.........try the MIL eliminator's / get rid of the check engine light and then we will know that it's not the prob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts