TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently flushed out my power steering system, using a bulb syringe, and learned a couple of new things that I haven't seen posted before.

Take a look at the reservoir tank for the power steering fluid. After removing the cap, you will notice a small hole that the bulb syringe needs to fit thru. The one I bought at Wal-Marts was too big in dia., so luckily, I had a piece of 3/8 ID fuel hose, and cut a short length to slide onto the tip of the bulb syringe. The hose fit nicely down into the reservoir. Just make sure the hose you add is about 6" long, so it won't get stuck inside the tank, if it slips off.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to take a plastic trash bag, and cover the area between the reservoir tank and the front bumper. This will make clean-up a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Or you can use the artical in the Tech Section here:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/misc/psteering.html <br>
This will allow you to drain the fluid to a drain pain.
Will take 4-5 times to get all the lines purged of old fluid. Do not run engine with no fluid in the PS pump.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I am quite aware of that Tech Article.

From what I have seen posted here before, some people choose to do the bulb syring method of removing the fluid, instead of having to crawl underneath, and reach up there and mess with the hose clamp 5 or 7 times.

I only posted this info., for those who choose to do the bulb syringe method, and I posted it so that they will have the right stuff to do that job with, instead of having to make an extra trip back to the store.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I installed Havoline Mercon III ATF.

You had posted information earlier this year, indicating that our cars leave the factory with ATF installed in the power steering system, correct? I don't think you had mentioned that it was Mercon V.

·
Maryland Chapter Director
189 Posts
PS fluid

I used Valvoline Synthetic fluid, it is mostly clear, and quiets the system down a lot. Also less prone to break down with heat. I have done 4 96-97 Birds so far, and all work great. I used the hose down below to flush, with the front wheels off the ground, you can turn the wheels side to side and really get the new fluid in the system, without having to run the car, except to get the air out of the system between flushes, but be careful to not turn the wheels too fast, as the fluid shoots out of not only the hose your draining from but the connection it was connected to. I also did not hook up the clamp inbetween, no problems as the front wheels were up in the air and did not create enough pressure to make the hose come off.

Scott

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
They do come with ATF...and we change the ATF in our tranny for Mercon V so why not PS? I always flush and fill it back up with Mercon V...that's what I've been using on all my cars...can't beat the price either ($2.xx at walmart)

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
Steve......

Now, are you able to drain the entire system doing it this way? Definitely will make it a lot easier than draining from underneath. What did you use, a regular turkey baster? :)

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Wal-MArt and purchased a standard bulb-syringe, from the kitchen utensils aisle. Probably the same as a turkey baster.

Seabass, thanks for the info. on the MerconV.

At this point, with the PS fluid having 163,000 miles on it, anything new I put in will certainly be better than the "stuff" that I just took out. It was pretty nasty looking.

Edit:

SO far, I have drained the reservoir 5 times, and refilled with the ATF.

I am going to do another round tomorrow. This method does not drain the entire
system, but like I stated above............it's better than it was.

·
8,239 Posts
seabass said:
They do come with ATF...and we change the ATF in our tranny for Mercon V so why not PS? I always flush and fill it back up with Mercon V...that's what I've been using on all my cars...can't beat the price either ($2.xx at walmart)
Cbass,

You guys have mercon v in your walmarts? I've been to several around me and none stock it, and the stupid "tech" says that mercon3 is the same thing. Good thing i know better.

JH

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
JustinH said:

Cbass,

You guys have mercon v in your walmarts? I've been to several around me and none stock it, and the stupid "tech" says that mercon3 is the same thing. Good thing i know better.

JH
If that tech doesnt know the differance, hes most likely the guy that put the Mercon V in with the Dish Soap here :)

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
I tried flushing out my system today and couldn't pull the hose off the P/S cooler. It came out so far and didn't want to go any further. I didn't want to force it, hoping not to damage anything. Any tips on getting the hose off? Thanks.

Joe

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
392Bird said:

If that tech doesnt know the differance, hes most likely the guy that put the Mercon V in with the Dish Soap here :)
Mercon V with e dish soap. Tell me you're joking! Maybe it'll help my diskwasher last longer and give my dishes a nice water repelling, oily film? :D

·
8,239 Posts
Rodeo Joe said:
I tried flushing out my system today and couldn't pull the hose off the P/S cooler. It came out so far and didn't want to go any further. I didn't want to force it, hoping not to damage anything. Any tips on getting the hose off? Thanks.

Joe
Joe,
There is a clamp on the hose, i used a little set of pliars to uncompress the clamp, and I wiggled the hose off with a little muscle.

JH

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
Justin,

Thanks. The clamp slides off no problem. I just didn't want to force the hose too much and break something. I'll give it another shot with a bit more muscle! :D

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts