TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old lady across the street has an 89 or 90 Cougar with *gasp* 30k on it! :eek: Anywho I thought it was the battery since it was 5 years old and the recent cold snap did it in. Bought a new one and still no dice. I'm guessing it's the starter. It won't do anything. I can noises but not really clicking. Man you'd think it wouldn't be the starter at 30k. Should I continue to throw parts (starter) it and have her take it to a shop? Where is the starter located and how much work to swap it? TIA!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are the dash light lighting up when you turn the key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 3.8 BTW. Yes it's getting juice. Underhood light and wipers are working.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know if this will help but sometimes when I try to start my car I have to push the brake and put the shifter into park harder. BTW what is causing that?

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
96CougarXR7 said:
I don't know if this will help but sometimes when I try to start my car I have to push the brake and put the shifter into park harder. BTW what is causing that?
It's the safety switch that requires the brake be pressed before you can a: start the car and b: shift it out of park. Having to push the shifter hard forward means the switch telling the car it's in park is a little shotty.

todras, I would first check the connections on the starter itself and the solenoid. I am a little unclear as to your description though.. when you turn the key to the on position, you should hear it ding at you, and the fuel pump will come on. Does anything happen when you go forward to the start position?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Jack the car up and have someone bang on the starter motor while you crank it. If it starts up, you need to change the starter. Also, if that woman never changed the oil, the engine could be completely shot as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts