TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I benefit from a C&L 73mm MAF and a BBK 65mm TB? And could I use them on my N/A 3.8? I don't know enough about engines to know for sure - double checking so I don't put money into something I can't use. Not sure if it matters, but both will be from an SC. (saw ad on SCCoA classifieds)

Thanks
-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
443 Posts
no and no...first off what year is your car? if you have the 55mm maf in your car and you could get the C&L for a really cheap price, than get it...if you have the 70mm stock, dont waste your money...also dont waste your money on the tb unless your upper intake is matched to the tb (56mm) but why would that tb be on the sc board? there different tb's...save up and get gears preferably 3.73's...i could make you a custom cold air intake...there always a good place to start...chip is good but not that cheap...i also have a JET chip for sale...almost new...give it too you for half the price new...i just took out my custom chip to get reburned by pete at fordchip and put the JET chip back in for the time being and i could honestly say i couldnt tell the difference...its a damn good chip...i dont care what anyone else says...

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - I have the 55mm MAF or else I wouldn't be looking for a bigger one. And if I had the 70mm MAF and wanted a bigger, I wouldn't go 3mm bigger unless it was handed to me :D I'm not that much of an idiot hehe (not mad - just expressing my intelligence.. somewhat hehe)

What did the jetchip do for you? Performance wise and everything. Again - may be interested in the CAI and maybe the chip.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
443 Posts
the chip bumps the timing up (need to run 91 octane or higher), raises shift points, quicker/firmer shifts, re-maps air/fuel ratio, etc...but again what year is your car? the chip could only work in 94's and 95's...the cold air intake will work on any year...check it out... www.geocities.com/coldairintake38

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a 91 V6. I may just look at getting the larger MAF and cold air intake. Not looking for a huge gain on performance here since I don't have the time or money to do big upgrades.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
140 Posts
cold air intake

what does the the cold air intake do. does it give more horse power?

·
Registered
443 Posts
well cant give any numbers on it but you could ask anyone who has them especially on the v6power mustang board...they'll all agree its a good mod...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Josh,
Think of it this way. The engine is an air pump. And it is breathing and exhaling through a straw. Therefor you make a bigger straw has more air and thus, more power. But you must not get to big, such as an oversized throttle body of MAF, then you will be sacrifising torque for hp.

Jim

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Melon said:
I've got a 91 V6. I may just look at getting the larger MAF and cold air intake.
I thought only '92 and up had MAF. My '90 doesn't... am I just misinformed?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have seen some early 91s with out the MAF. Just consider it one less restriction in your intake tube. The speed density is a different design but it works just as well.

·
Smoothmeister K
887 Posts
A cold air intake gives you cooler air for your engine. The more colder air you have, the more HP you can get.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Speed Density???

Hey guys what do you mean exsactly by speed density? I want to do a cold air intake but I've held up from doing this since I don't have a MAF and really don't understand the term you guys refering to. I assume that the cold air will help but if it's not going to increase anything I'm not going to spend the money.

I have a 1990 Base Bird

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well.. just out of curiousity, my friend has a 1998 24v/dohc mystique and got a svt throttle body for it, but due to some complications it wont fit on his motor, i believe its a 70mm throttle body. if he cant get it to work hes gonna sell it, im just wondering if it would fit on my 1990 3.8 n/a. if it does, hell sell it to me for dirt cheap since he got it pretty damn cheap as well. well, at least i dont gotta worry about that MAF problem.. hehe -greg

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
A Mass Air Flow sensor is just a different (and I believe more accurate) way of measuring how much air is travelling in to the engine.

Speed density is just a lower-tech way of determining the same thing, AFAIK.

A cold air intake is good for ANY engine, simply because it allows an intake charge that is more dense (and thus allows the motor to be more efficient.)

·
Registered
935 Posts
That's what I thought...

I figured the colder air would help on my pick up or if it didn't it would atleast help my car run cooler. I have a question though....I don't know about all the other non-MAF birds but underneath/next to my air filter I have an electrical hook up, right where the MAF sensor hooks in. I know the SC's had these so I figure it's the wiring ford put in and never hooked up... Anyone know? I mean if it's live I'll get a MAF and gain some hp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts