TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well, now this time the incredible shifting only lasted 2 months. In december my 2-3 sprag blew, and had my tranny fixed, again. Today i was driving on the highway, pushin the car a bit cause i was late going to pick up a friend. i step on the gas and insted of the car just gripping and going, it lagged a bit, then shifted. On the side streets i drove it normal. accelerated normal shifted fine, next stop sign i giv it abit more gas, and it lags going into 1st, normally it just slams into 2nd. now it lags a bit, then slams in, im letting my car cool down now cause i had some errans to run, but the thing is that 2-3 is like that, after the rebuild with the pa vb in. so i dont know if its something i should worry about, or what, please someone get back to me asap, if i need to sink any more money into this thing for repairs its gettin sold, cant afford it anymore!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe a broken 1-2 spring?? I don't know man. If this is the stock 95 trans, just with the PA VB and just the broken parts fixed the first time, I think it's prob. dead. The 95 wasn't known for it's tranny strength.

Someone will chime in with a better suggestion hopefully. Is the fluid full? Is it burnt?

Jay

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its ot the stock one, i had it rebuilt over a year ago, then 2 months ago the 2-3 sprag blew and they fixed that and cleaned everything else up, it was solid, so i dunno why the shifts are lagging, i was thining maybe the fluid might be low and the pressure isnt that great, not sure

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would think that when it was totally rebuilt a year ago, they replaced everything, they put back in the pa vb in dec after the one part blew, after they cleaned everything up, i was reading the tech articals, and think it may be the piston, dont know why, but it does have a late shift and lag, so when i get my oil changed thursday i will have my regular shop just change out the 2 pistons n springs

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
While you are in there yank the epc solenoid and give it a look. You can see the wear on them the aluminum part gets worn and leaks pressure out around it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im gonna get some lucas tranny fix first n see if that will help it out, if not then when i get my oil changed im gonna have them take the pan off, replace the pistons n springs and i will tell them about the epc solenoid, n hopefully that will be it, i was just driving it and it was fine shifted normal under light accel, it was under med to heavy that it heasitated so im thinking its presure related. thanks for you input dirtydog, i feel like an *** when i keep posting with like the same problem after it gets fixed

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well the fluid is good, upto level and smells sweet and still very cherry red, so from driving it today, i can only think that its the 1-2 accumulator and or the 1-2 spring. Going to drop it off for the oil change tomorrow and tell them to change all that stuff out as well. If anyone else has any other ideas before i go tomorrow please chime in

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well thanks dirtydog for your input, since no one else has any ideas, im taking it to a performance tranny shop tomorrow, its gotten worse since this morning. Im praying that theres nothing wrong with it, and it is just the springs and accumulators, cause i cant afford another tranny, and if it is, im gonna fix it and then im done with this car, it has turned into a money hole, with nothing to show for it,

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, well its going in on monday, but i would really appreciate some kind of response, so i kinda know what im looking at and if it is more than what i think, so if anyone with any kind of knowledge could please chime in insted of me sitting here in the dark and thinkin im gonna be buying a new tranny again, please respond,

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Darrin said:
I just think it isn't coincidental that everyone that I have heard of using anything other than a j-mod on a 4r70w daily driver has had a tranny die a very untimely death.
Just food for thought
TbirdSims said:
When im told you shoulndt do this, do this insted, i listen and do exacly that, but thats just me, i figure these people know whats goin on
Thats part of why it's so quiet in here I think. I wasn't the only one that told you not to use that valve body. Then you go harping on someone else for not listening to good advice when it is given.
Think about it.

My opinion is that you had a transmission failure and the aftermath wasn't ever properly cleaned up and is still flowing through your transmission leaving more destruction in it's path.
And, I still wouldn't use that valve body.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well first off everyone that i asked about the pa vb said it was good, on this forum none the less, also i dont have the time to sit there with out the equipment to do the j-mod, and also, i dont think that could be any reason why no one on this thing cant help out, i listend when it came to the trans-go, now how can you sit there and blame me for not listening when i asked a **** load of people on here, sorry but everyone that i talked to that has transgo said it was horrible, i changed that to PA, everyone i talked to with PA have not had any problem, none at all that they have atleast admitted, now do you think that what ever damage the transgo kit did to my tranny, carried over when i got the new better vb? For some reason i was in the tranny shop with the trans-go kit, with a NEW TRANNY more times in the past year than the original tranny was in the 9 years of its life. Also I personally think that if the guy did the proper job to the tranny, that i would have NO problems what so ever with it, Dont give me **** and look down on me when i acutally did ask people on here about the valve body, the other thing that i havent figured out and thought about, if the Valve body is so bad, what makes the J-mod better? same holes drilled, same springs, same accumulator, i bet that if i did the j-mod insted, the same thing would have happend, and ive told you people from the begining when i first got on here that ever since my trans got re-built i have had problems, so dont come down on me and make me feel like ****, and its funny that you didnt post my other quote about how i do my research and that the valve body was the main thing i asked people about, and i went with that because people who have it say its just as good as the j-mod, but your paying more, so please dont give me that,

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Hey, YOU asked.
I am just telling you what I think. If you don't want to hear it then don't ask. I don't see a huge line of people forming to try to help you and I was just trying to let you know what the issue there may be and then I told you what I think the problem is and has been. On top of that, you have a part that I wouldn't use. I don't see that I wrote more than that.
Why is it that everyone wants to read their attitude into my few words? I didn't have that problem when I wrote replies of novel like proportion but I just don't have time for that.

Remember that I told you in what I was saying that I felt your tranny would die an untimely death if you used that valve body. So blame me, OK... :rolleyes:
I was giving advice and trying to help. Take it or leave it. You don't have to listen if you don't want to, but don't jump me for pointing out that what I said would happen has now indeed happened. It wasn't my fault, but I know you are frustrated. Please take it out on something else is all I am asking because you are not making this easy or making people want to help you.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
What exactly is the transmission that is in the car?
I may have an idea that would clear some of this BS up and help you out if you can be a LOT nicer about all of this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well the way you made it seem was that since i didnt listen to anyone thats why i have the problem that i do, and yes i am fustrated cause for over a year my tranny has been nothing but problems, i do appologize i just dont wanna be labled in the same boat as that guy who completly ignored everyone and did his own thing, i listend to both sides about the vb and went with the vb. Ok it is a rebuilt as of last november, 03' its the 4r70w most likley the rebuilt 95 model. Orignially the tranny guy put in the transgo kit, and for a year i had problems brought it back many times, and it was alwasy "fixed". I decited to go with the VB in october. From october till december it was great, december the 2-3 sprag blew and the tranny was "fixed" again. the guy had it for a week. Now the tranny really felt solid. felt really good, the other day i was on the highway, and when i got off, going from 1-2 was a little laggy, almost like not enough presure , same thing going into 3rd, from what i read in the tech articles its the springs and or the accumulator. I took out the old vb that i had and took the plates off, and the old springs and accumulators were gone, meaning they used them for the pa vb. Under light accel it goes 1-2 normal, but anything over 1500 rpm it lags a bit then goes in, same thing for 2-3 and od is normal. From what i feel when driving there are no vibrations, but sometimes i dont know if its in my head or not, it feels sluggish. I drove it from getting an oil change b4 and it felt fine with the exception of the lag. I have a chip, the hypertech but it dont work, dont think it ever did, and i have a cooler on the tranny.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Ok, for informational purposes, the accumulator springs and accumulators are not in the valve body. Those are in the case.
Are you sure that the hypertech chip isn't the problem? The chip may have been working in whatever capacity it has and could have come loose from the computer. That would drop your line pressure on the shifts and cause what you are feeling.
So, have you checked the chip? Make absolutely sure the contacts on the computer are sanded down. When you think the contacts are sanded down enough, sand them a little more. Just don't sand the copper off the board. Also, it is important to tape the chip to the computer.
Do that first. I know you are going to say that you did, but please humor me and doi it again and try to take pics to show us so that we can see what you see.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright, my bad with the springs n accumulators for some reason i thought they were in the vb, i will have to do that on another day, cause its a bit wet out over here, should i take it out drive it then put it back in after i try to clean the chip and contacts a bit more? i dont have my digital cam, cant find it anywere, but i will try to take pics. you know of anyone else, shift kit, j-mod or pavb that didnt have a chip and had that lag problem?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
A loose chip can cause any sort of problems. Lets just pick a point and start there. I am choosing this point because I have seen you complain about that chip a lot and it can cause a problem like this.
Drive it with the chip out and then with the chip in after you clean the contacts. If you just pull the chip and feel a change you may be fooled into thinking that it is making proper contact just because it is doing something.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks a lot, im gonna go see about it now, will post after i test it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok well, i took it out, and the first thing to happen was the chip fell out. i pluged everything back in with out the chip and drove it, same problem. I cleaned the contacts well didnt sand off the copper, and taped the chip in. Drove it and the lag didnt last long, it hit harder, but i still belive there is a lag. It could all be in my mind, i got work at 4 so i gotta drive it there, also with it being wet out i cant really tell. I will report back later tonight hopefully it will dry up a bit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts