1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/24/license.plate.ap/index.html

He he he he... :D

My opinion:
As long as it is a vanity plate and not a "standard" plate, I don't have a problem with it... HOWEVER, if other specific religions are not offered, then this one should not be offered either.

I just think there are much better ways of showing your faith (stickers, emblems, license plate frames, etc.) than having a government issued license plate endorsing a specific religion. Which is what a specific religious plate does.

Thoughts, comments. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
I don't know how they do it down in florida, but up here they have similar things on plates that you can opt for if you want, and pay some extra money. The way I see it, why not offer it? If someone wants to pay some extra money to the DMV for it, why should they not offer it? I personally wouldn't give the DMV any more money than I absolutely have to, no matter what they offered on the plate.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In AL (and I think most states to get a "specialty" plate (different from a vanity plate)) you have to get so many people to say they will buy them. Then it has to be approved, yada, yada, yada.

In AL it takes 250 “commitments to buy” ( http://www.palc.org/petprojects/aflpstates/aflpal.html ) before they can be created. The issue is what if 250 Buddhists what to have a Buddha on the tag. Or better yet, what if 250 Satanist (a recognized religion in the US) wants a special tag…

Just a quagmire that I think they should shy away from. :beek:

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Its only a quagmire because a lot of people want to force their beliefs on other people, or refuse to acknowledge that someone elses beliefs are valid. If those people would care more about their own life instead of everyone else around them, the world would be a much better place. You want to worship Jesus, or Satan, or Mohammed, or Buddha, or no one, or yourself, or the Beatles, it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter to me. Anyone who would get that license plate is proud to be a christian, just as anyone who would get a Satan plate would be proud to be a Satanist (or they live in the bible belt and have a sense of humor). Either way, nobody has a right to say that someone else can't be proud of what they believe. It goes back to the old "I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
....In AL it takes 250 “commitments to buy” ( http://www.palc.org/petprojects/aflpstates/aflpal.html ) before they can be created. The issue is what if 250 Buddhists what to have a Buddha on the tag. Or better yet, what if 250 Satanist (a recognized religion in the US) wants a special tag…
. :beek:
Illinois is the same way, you just have to have enough people who want it and they will offer it. And if other religions want to have it, they should be able to.

C.Hill

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
This specialty plate should be voted down.

Do we really need to be expressing our personal religious beliefs on government issued specialty license plates, even if the addition cost is paid for them? Isn't a Jesus Fish enough?

If this tag were promoting a specific religious charity, hospital or whatever (in FL some of the proceeds from the tag go to fund a stated cause) I wouldn't mind that. But a tag that just bears the Christian cross and the message "I Believe"?

By approving the tag the government is endorsing it's message in a roundabout way. Will they be willing to do the same for a Satanist tag? A satanic symbol and "I believe"? lol

Do we really want bureaucrats deciding which religious messages are sanctioned for official use on government issued license plates, and which are not?

I think the artwork and message on specialty tags should somehow represent the organization or charity they benefit. I think a Christian cross and the simple message "i believe" fails to convey what the tag supports. It's a pure statement of religious belief. It's overly broad imo. I don't know if that's a criteria for approving or denying a specialty tag or not.

The group asking for the "I Believe" plate, the Orlando-based nonprofit Faith in Teaching Inc., supports faith-based schools activities. The plate would cost drivers an extra $25 annual fee.
They need to revamp the tag so that it represents their cause, as it stands it promotes a basic religious belief and that's just inappropriate for a government issued license plate. The artwork and message is a money grab, most who buy it won't have a clue what cause the money goes. They'll have just bought the "Christian" tag that promotes their faith. As the proposal stands i think the tag should be voted down.

Just buy a Jesus Fish and be done with it!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do we really need to be expressing our personal religious beliefs on government issued specialty license plates, even if the addition cost is paid for them? Isn't a Jesus Fish enough?

If this tag were promoting a specific religious charity, hospital or whatever (in FL some of the proceeds from the tag go to fund a stated cause) I wouldn't mind that. But a tag that just bears the Christian cross and the message "I Believe"?

By approving the tag the government is endorsing it's message in a roundabout way. Will they be willing to do the same for a Satanist tag? A satanic symbol and "I believe"? lol

Do we really want bureaucrats deciding which religious messages are sanctioned for official use on government issued license plates, and which are not?

I think the artwork and message on specialty tags should somehow represent the organization or charity they benefit. I think a Christian cross and the simple message "i believe" fails to convey what the tag supports. It's a pure statement of religious belief. It's overly broad imo. I don't know if that's a criteria for approving or denying a specialty tag or not.

They need to revamp the tag so that it represents their cause, as it stands it promotes a basic religious belief and that's just inappropriate for a government issued license plate. The artwork and message is a money grab, most who buy it won't have a clue what cause the money goes. They'll have just bought the "Christian" tag that promotes their faith. As the proposal stands i think the tag should be voted down.

Just buy a Jesus Fish and be done with it!
Well said! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
if someone is dumb enough to have whatever they want on the plates I say go for it let the DMV get the money

I'll be looking forward to the Girls Gone Wild plates personally

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
http://www.bills-soapbox.com/archives.htm

What was i saying about this being a clever money grab... ;)

April 16, 2008

The Florida legislature is processing a bill that will create yet another vanity license plate. This one will feature a stained glass window and a cross with the words, “I Believe.”

First of all do we really need another specialty license plate (I think the State of Florida already has a couple of hundred options) and second has anyone done any checking on the charitable organization, "Faith in Teaching, Inc.," which is slated to benefit financially from the $25 per plate/per year charge.

I did a little sleuthing and found that the President and obvious founder of Faith in Teaching, Inc. Carla Mallen formed the non-profit company in October 2007 along with another non-profit company called I Believe, Inc. When I did a name check for Mallen I discovered that a David Mallen (using the same address listed for both of Ms. Mallen's charities) formed his own non-profit company, Christian Offering Plate, Inc. in September 2007 and is also linked to an inactive non-profit company, American Disability Association, Inc.

Now I'm sure that Carla and David Mallen are both pillars of the community and are both deeply and spiritually committed to their particular charitable causes. And I'm sure that all this recent flurry of activity setting up multiple non-profit companies is completely above board and perfectly legal, but it raises a whole bunch of questions in my mind as to their real motive for creating a rats nest of intertwined company interests. Call me skeptical, but I do have first hand experience watching the principle of a non-profit corporation using that position as a vehicle to create a huge pay check for himself; even if it meant sacrificing the very programs outlined in the company mission statement.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I couldn't care less personally. A license plate isn't going to change my views on anything lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,655 Posts
I'd like a "____l all the _____" , so we could just write in our own plate... :D

Or send in a photoshop image, like the Capitol One ads...

:D

Wouldn't you hate to be the person who had to ok the images?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts