TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a thought now that it is colder than a witches t*****s outside. has anybody installed a block heater on their car and incorporate an electric water pump with a full on switch or jumper so while the block heater is running the water pump is continuously cycleing the coolant through the block to evenly warm it so as to prevent wear from cold starts? should theoritically help the oil warm too. just a thought maybe useless who knows :)

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
that blows.....yeah, if we see 30*, lots of peolpe think thats too cold....I'm like hell, try livin upstate somewhere.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Great Obucina said:
it'll probably get about 45 in the winter here is western north haiti.
HAITI?!?!? as in that lil island nation? if so i never realized it got that cold that done if not then enlighten me as to where

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
y's that? the thermostat opens and closes on its own at a set temp. so it would allow the system to heat up to 160 then it would open allowing the coolant to flow. when it gets too cold it closes again. should eventually get the whole system pretty close to that temp

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think a block heater is going to get the engine hot enough to heat the coolant/anti freeze to 160*. Just my thoughts on the subject, not looking to get into a fight in this thread too.... Build it, if it works, sell it on ebay, make millions and move to florida.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think a block heater is going to get the engine hot enough to heat the coolant/anti freeze to 160*. Just my thoughts on the subject, not looking to get into a fight in this thread too.... Build it, if it works, sell it on ebay, make millions and move to florida.
nice :) if only life were that simple. i honestly don't expect it to either but it should be able to pull of 60-80 which is a significant increase from when it gets cold here

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts

I agree; If it got that hot, you would have to worry about it boiling, and blowing gaskets and such.

It provides enough heat to not freeze, not much else; it's pretty failsafe.

You could design a much more costly, complicated system, but doing the thermal expansion from the water jacket in instead of the other way would likely have some unexpected consequences. the engines were designed with the thermal gradient the other way; hot inside, cooler outside.

And if the more complicated version malfunctioned, you are looking at lawsuits; this IS the US, you know... ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
cold starts

I have read info on oil spec sites and it suggests that a cold engine does have oil on all the surfaces. One very important specification of oils is its ability to "cling" to surfaces. That means that even though the bulk of the oil has drained back into the pan, there is still a film of oil on all surfaces to protect it at startup for the few seconds it takes for the oil pump to circulate oil again. If your oil does not have very good properties for that, then you need to change oil brands ! It is very important that you dont rev the engine for a few seconds after startup and in really cold temps, you should let er run for a few seconds/minutes before taking off. If your temps are that cold, then change to a lower viscosity oil for the cold months. Thats what the upper number means, that down to a certain temp, the oil will get no thicker than its rating. Now I know that you probably already know that, not trying to insult you :) I suspect that the cylinders and pistons come up to temp quickly, while oil and other parts take longer.

Down here in Fl, we can pretty well run one viscosity all year. Our freezing temps are ~25/27 in a cold year (I just hate that :D ) anyway, I have never been convinced of the need for all the extra "cold start" gimmicks-----but then I dont have that problem.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Average annual low in Lee county is about 63F, we don't need no stink'in heaters.

One or two days out of the year it'll get a bit chillier...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts