·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Two examples:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?131727-Winter-Project-Rear-End-Conversion
http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/showthread.php?122976-Thunderbird-4-link&highlight=solid

By your sig specs, it sounds like you have the HP to take advantage of such a conversion. Do it.

If you are suggesting that a kit be made for you well, good luck. Considering that being IRS is one of the key advantages a tbird has over a mustang, I think the total available market of parties interested in going the other way just to create a vehicle better for drag racing will be very, very small. The Grannies Speed Shop claim that such a live axle conversion is "the best compromise for both the drag and road racing worlds" seems laughable to me. Unless road racing means "going straight from one stoplight to another, I fail to see how a live axle will improve handling.

I'm willing to bet that the first gen RX7s are considered for such a swap is because the chassis itself is pretty light and the engine bay is large enough to accept all sorts of engine swaps.

If the goal is to make a drag weapon, why would anyone start with a 1000LB weight penalty by using a tbird live axle chassis instead of a live axle first gen RX7? That seems utterly silly to me.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill never cut my car up for a live axle. If I wanted to go fast in a straight line all the time. I'd build a drag car...

I have see a live axle car in person several years ago at an SC Shootout.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Ill never cut my car up for a live axle. If I wanted to go fast in a straight line all the time. I'd build a drag car...
Makes me almost want to do it....
I guess this is why you said 'almost' in your original post, eh?
:)

I could maybe understand moving to a trunk based fuel cell (why carry a full tank of gasoline anyway) but cutting up the frame rail to give the axles clearances seems a bit much to me.

-g

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
So you don't have to stop for fuel every other day? May as well buy an electric car:tongue:
No possible way an electric car could do my daily drive; I'd get run over, lol.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hey I like my T-bird but if I wanted a live axle, I'd skip the work and buy a Mustang.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes they did and I have met more than one 04/04 Cobra owner say who they would have went to a solid axle from the start spending a chunk making their IRS behave like one. Though that's easier to do on those cars.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
So you don't have to stop for fuel every other day? May as well buy an electric car:tongue:
1) My DD is a Prius so... no. ;)
2) My tbird is a track car so I don't fill it up except at the track.

Anyone nuts enough to turn their tbird into a car purely suitable for drag racing with a live axle swap doesn't need a 17Gal fuel tank to go for glory at the local 1/4 mi track. After all, 17 gal x 6.3LB = 107LBs of excess weight. An 8 gal fuel cell would be more than sufficient.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
No possible way an electric car could do my daily drive; I'd get run over, lol.
I don't know about your daily drive but if you live in a dense city and have a garage to readily charge it, even a crappy electric Leaf/Smart/Fiat is peppy enough at <35MPH speeds since max torque is avail at 1RPM. I've driven almost all of these in SF and they do just fine (torque is really nice going up the hills).

If your commute is hwy based, it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend on an electric car. You wouldn't have this issue with even the baseline 302HP Tesla let alone the 691HP P85D.

If I had a two car garage or I stop this Lemons racing hobby with my tbird, I might actually consider one (although I would prefer a smaller model than the model S as my DD). Maintenance costs on the Tesla are apparently quite low because there are just fewer moving parts compared to a gas vehicle of similar spec (ex: Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc). I seriously doubt they will need to push the performance envelope farther than where they are today so the increased volumes will just either a) push down the vehicle costs or b) increase the range.

I'm no hippy or tree hugger but as long as you have ONE vehicle that can ferry your entire family around and a place to plug your car in, I see no problems with an electric car as a commuter provided the economics work for you.

-g

PS. I love derailing these threads that weren't going anywhere anyway :)

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,270 Posts
The 2015 mustangs are running 9.90's with IRS and Drive Shaft Shop axles.

The MN12 IRS only needs stronger outer axle joints to survive.
Not even the whole outher, just the stub that has the bolt.

But if you want to run a MN12 in Super Stock, then ladder bars are necessary.

Road racing, auto cross, drifting, short track oval are another animal.

SHM has one more set of MN12 2V long tubes still.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2015 mustangs are running 9.90's with IRS and Drive Shaft Shop axles.

The MN12 IRS only needs stronger outer axle joints to survive.
Not even the whole outher, just the stub that has the bolt.

But if you want to run a MN12 in Super Stock, then ladder bars are necessary.

Road racing, auto cross, drifting, short track oval are another animal.

SHM has one more set of MN12 2V long tubes still.
I have broken 3 outers...and one inner. Had to remove the Diff and tap the splined stub out of the carrier via the other axle hole. Not fun....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts