TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I while back I made a post about traped air in my cooling system. I took the advice that was posted and opened the bolt on the top of the engine was started it. I kept it tight enough so the air chould leak out, but loose enough for the coolent to stay in for the most part. I saw what I think was a little steam and after it got up to it normal temp range I tighteing it assuming the air was removed.

Now fast forward a few week to today, I was driving around and I noticed that the temp gauge was a little slow on moving up. It was moving but slower then normal. Then all the sudden it shot up real high (for about 15 sec) then when back to the normal temp. To say the least I was pissed since I've been trying to get this air out for a while. When I got back home I let it cool off and poped the hood.

Here's what I found, the overflow tank was normal. So I took of the rad cap and saw that it was low on coolent. I put about a quart in, wondering why it just didn't suck some out of the overflow tank?? :confused: Then I when for a drive and got on it, ALOT to bring the temp up. I then poped the hood and tryed to let air out again from that bolt on top and sure enough I chould see it bubbleing and hissing out.

This is really pissing me off cuz I leave for school in a week and won't have a place to work on my car there. So I need to get this air out so my car runs normal again. For the life of me I can't seem to get rid of it. I don't know where it all came from but there seem's to be a life time supply of it.

It doesn't over heat under normal driving, or hard driving. Driving hard just rasies the temp to the R-M range. Other then the temp gauge jumping around today it's been fine latey so I'm really stumped. I'm open to any and all idea's or suggestions. Thanks guys, 3.8 Special

·
Registered
538 Posts
3.8..This is My expertise area...

I can walk you through the whole procedure if you want...As i've done this twice...cause the first time i did it wrong.

Let me know, and I'll give you instructions on how to do it...either through IM or on your e-mail

BeirutsFinest

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Let us all know!

Post it here if it isn't too long. Other people might be having the same problem. Better yet, you might have the makings of a new tech article. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds great, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail or you can just post it here. What ever you feel like. Thanks for the help bro!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ok Here it Goes..Procedure for correct refill

Ok here it is...

1.) first the best time to do this is after the car has been sitting overnight (in the morning) so you can get all the coolant out.

2.)you must drain all the coolant from the system..just open the drain cock and let it all out....If you notice there is still some in the reservoir tank, then remove the little rubber hose that connects to the radiator and let the coolant from the reservoir drain.....Also it may help to remove the lower radiaitor hose and drain any fluid that still may be sitting in there.

3.)After it's all drained, Open the vent plug ( the bolt that almost sits over the T-Stat, It says Vent Plug on it.)

4.)Remove the Reservoir cap

5.)Remove the Radiator pressure cap

6.)with the engine off and cool, add a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water to the radiator until it is full

7.)Next (while the engine is still off and cool) add a 50/50 mixture to the reservoir until the coolant reaches the "Full Hot Level"

8.)Close the vent plug ( make sure it is tightened appropriately) Note: Closing the vent Plug is very important, otherwise you will have coolant everywhere after starting the car.
Also, reinstall the reservoir cap....Then reinstall the radiator pressure cap to the fully installed position, and then turn it back to the first stop.

9.)Start and idle the engine until the upper radiator hose is warm(this indicates that the t-stat is open and coolant is flowing through the entire system).

10.)Immediately shut off engine, and CAREFULLY and CAUTIOUSLY using a thick cloth remove the radiator presure cap and add a 50/50 mixture until the radiator is full. Then reinstall radiator cap fully and securely.

11.)Remove the reservoir cap and add a 50/50 mixture into the reservoir until it reaches the "Full Hot Level". Then reinsatll the reservoir cap.

(Steps 10 and 11 are basically done to top off the levels of coolant to the rad and reservoir...Like all the other steps,They are very important)

Recheck the engine coolant after 1 or 2 occasions of using the vehicle.

I did the best i could with this and i hope it helps, if any questions feel free to ask.

The key is: removing the vent plug the reservoir cap and the radiator cap then filling the system, this ensures there is no air in the system.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
801 Posts
can this be the reason why my car runs rich???

im going to try this b/c all i do is take off the plug thing thats right on top of the thermostat and then i refill my system, maybe i have air stuck in there. I have taken my car everywhere, and no one seems to know whats wrong with it, and my car runs good, but just runs a bit warm, how do i refill with a 50/50 mixture of water and coolant???????

thanks for the help guys.
Marvin M.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Well, a jug of coolant, a jug of water, a jug of coolant, a jug of water until it's full.

·
Registered
801 Posts
i can use the coolant bottle for the jug??

yeah can i use the coolant bottle for the jug????

Marvin M.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you're asking... do you want to know where to fill the system? If so, just do like BeirutsFinest said and fill from the radiator and then fill the coolant bottle.

If you're asking what kind of container to use, well, it's not going to care. I usually just dump in a jug of coolant and then fill that jug with water and dump that in.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here's How I do it

The way i do it is....I buy 2 containers of coolant, (that's usually all you need to fill the system). I also always have an empty container of coolant handy. I take one of the full containers and dump half into the empty one....( you can measure half by just pouring into the empty container until both containers have an equal amount of coolant in them) then i add water to the containers until it's full......Now you have two containers of 50/50 mixture.......a little confusing but there is no other way to put this.

hope this helps
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey Josh Keady...

It's not a good idea to mix the coolant in the radiator or the reservoir....I would not dump coolant into the system then water after that.

It's probably working fine for you....However, somethimes the water and coolant will not mix right, you should mix it in a container first.

this is not always true, but your better off mixing it first then putting it in....I would suggest doing this.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i'm going to do it this weekend, but still have one question. In the haynes manual I have it sayes that you should leave the rad cap off while you run it the first time (right after you top overthing off). That's what I did and I thought it seemed odd since you'd think that might let air in. But I did that since that was the written way to do it. Do you think that's was cause my problems or doesn't it make a differance which way you do it. Thanks for all your cooling help Beirutsfinest

·
Registered
538 Posts
well...

The first time I messed up with the fluid refill.....the cause was doing what the Haynes manual said to do, they never said to put the vent plug back on.....

Anyway, when you do it the way i described...(you put the cap on and then turn it back to the first stop) this method closes the radiator but does not seal it cause you turn it back to the first stop, it's not fully installed, so the radiator is not yet pressurized. (then you turn the car on and let it get warm, then after you shut the car off, you top off the coolant levels, then fully install the radiator cap). However, the Haynes manual says to keep the rad cap off after you top off the coolant and then turn the car on.....this is wrong (this part of the refill is the most crucial for not letting air in the system). If you leave the cap off as the haynes manual says, then when the car gets warm you risk the chance of coolant splashing out of the radiator and you will also get air in the system.

Once you top off the coolant you need to fully reinstall the radiator cap and then drive around a couple of times and recheck it to make sure your coolant level is good.

Do it the way i described...this is the safest way..and ensures no air.

Hope this helps
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES!

When I did it I left it off as said and it did splash out, which must have got all the air in there!! Now I see my mistake, but really it's more of a mistake on the haynes guys. Anyway one more little thing, sorry to keep bothering u but I wanna make sure I got this down pat. After I refill everything up, and start it for the first time how long should I run the car. I know I have to let the themostat open up to let coolent in the the block, but are we talking like getting it up to the normal temp (between the O-R on the NORM temp guage or alot less. I wasn't sure if I should turn it back of before it even hits the N or just let it go to where it starts leaking out?? Do I want it to come out the cap or should I turn it off before hand. Thanks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just wait

No don't worry, Your not bothering me at all.

Just keep feeling the upper radiator hose, once you feel it get nice and warm, then the thermostat opened up.....keep it on for a minute after it gets warm, you don't have to get the gauge up to the N or anything. Don't leave it running too long after the upper hose gets warm, or the temp will get too high (because remember the system is not completely full yet).

You definitely DON"T want to let the coolant to start leaking out, but even if you did leave it on, it would not leak out.

BeirutsFinest

1 - 18 of 18 Posts