TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went on base today and did an oil change. Everything went fine and I moved quickly as I had to drop my girlfriend off at a lunch party. Well I got everything done and started heading down the highway, started smelling burning oil just a bit. I said oh, well I just did the oil change so some residual is burning off, no biggie. I hit the offramp to go to the place and stopped at a light, there is smoke all over and I opened my door and it was pluming into the car! :confused: So I pulled into a parking lot and got out and looked under the car...what a mess! Oil was all over and it was pouring out of there! So I shut the car off and nickleman60 luckily came to my rescue with a jack and jack stands (thanks Keith! :D). Got the car up and took the new filter off and sure enough there were TWO gaskets! I took the old one off and put the new filter back on and it sealed up right and re-filled the engine. Good as gold.

Moral of the story: Even though we all know that double gasket thing can happen, it happens VERY VERY rarely and most of us don't check for it because we are in a rush and expect it not to happen. Well that one time you don't think it will happen it will! Take that extra two seconds JUST to be sure before you finish everything up! :rolleyes:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Glad it was something simple.
Same here. I for one always check under the car running to make sure the engine is not bleeding .

I learned my lesson the hard way at 17 .lol

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I double gasketed a dodge 3500 diesel my first year as a lube technician and was cocky enough to be standing under it while another tech started it to check for leaks, it took two days to unstain my skin from the dirty diesel soot filled oil. I looked like a human Dalmatian. Now every oil change I ever do friend, family, customer, whatever, I wipe the oil filter base plate with a rag and check the old filter for a gasket. Lesson learned the hard way, I'll never forget it again.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Did it the first time I changed the oil on the Cougar. Luckly when I started it up it barely added to the mess I had already made trying to get the old filter out lol

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I double gasketed a dodge 3500 diesel my first year as a lube technician and was cocky enough to be standing under it while another tech started it to check for leaks, it took two days to unstain my skin from the dirty diesel soot filled oil. I looked like a human Dalmatian. Now every oil change I ever do friend, family, customer, whatever, I wipe the oil filter base plate with a rag and check the old filter for a gasket. Lesson learned the hard way, I'll never forget it again.
Diesel oil is nasty. I used to do "in-frame overhauls" on Series 60 Detroits and N-14 Cummins when I worked at a GMC/Volvo heavy truck dealership and that crap would just drip drip drip on ya all day while removing/installing the piston & rod assemblies.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I did the double gasket at 18 on a 5.0 crown vic. Shot oil out like it was a fire hose. I made a mess on the drive way thats about it.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I almost did that on my last oil change, As I was trying to feel my way towards getting the new filter threaded on the Mark the old gasket just happened to fall off the block.

When you started telling the story I thought it was going to go the route of the filter backing off. We had a bad batch a few years ago, at least in Nova Scotia... Just couldn't keep em tight, I don't remember the brand.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
did the same on my wifes old 95 bird years ago.....lets just say, you learn your lesson.

whats funny though, i always check/wipe the filter area....just didn't that one time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts