TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hesitates? - NOW UPDATED WITH DIAGNOSIS.

So far this board has been fantastic.

I just got a 94 Tbird with the 4.6

It starts every time.

The engine runs well if you gently accelerate.

However, if you try to accelerate quickly or put your foot on the floor, it just sputters and will not 'catch'.

The check engine light is on, brought the car to three different mechanics and they said that they didnt have the equipment to read codes for 94-95 years and that I had to go to the dealer.

It does this whether the car is in gear or in neutral and just revving it. So I lean towards a engine problem as opposed to a transmission problem.

Is it possible with a new set of plugs, wires and clean Mass Air Flow Sensor the car could start running better?

Or are these the symptoms of something more serious?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
513 Posts
yes and i had the same problem before change the plugs and wires and clean up some things and it should be fine

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Please don't guess. Get the codes scanned. The car is OBDII but it is hard to convince some people with scanners of that since it wasn't mandated until 96.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no guessing here, just trying to prepare myself.

i have an appt at the dealer for today.

is it normal that only the dealer can read these codes?

thanks again

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
No that is what I was trying to point out. Most places like advanced auto can do the scan but the tricky part is convincing them your car is scannable. They usually believe they can only scan 96 + Tbirds. Wires for your car are around $70 just for the part.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
similiar how it is sometimes hard to tell a mechanic 'Hey, I read this on an internet message borad, check this...'

Funny thing is, I had a SHO that if I didn't find a SHO only guy on the internet from Nebraska, I never would have figured out that I had a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. So the verdict is in, the dealership says it needs a Mass Air Flow Sensor. They said it will run $550. I am going to get the car and a detailed print out of what is wrong.

Is this a fair price?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!

I suggest you PM racecougar and see if he has a used one kicking around. there is NO WAY I would pay that much for a stock MAF.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Jankeefan,

for a stock MAF, you should never pay more than $70. I got one off of eBay that was new for $45 delivered to my house.

Give that dealer the finger and go elsewhere, PRONTO!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts