TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
t-bird hesitating to fly

During wot accelerating I'll get rubber, hesitate get rubber, hesitate get rubber accelerate strong. It will shift at about 5000k get hard rubber in 2nd hesitate then go like hell hit 3rd hesitate then accelerate fine on thru 4th on out.

When it hesitate the rpm drops to around 1500k 2000k. I figure the trans isnt slipping because the rpm fall not rise.Also durihg shifts you can hear fluid move.Under hard acceleration trans fluid comes out of the trans filler. Need help bad.

It accelerate and shift fine during normal driving.

New tps,maf,plugs, wires, fuel pump,pressure reg, fuel filter, and k&n a/f.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The hesitation might be I'm hitting the rev limiter,but what could cause the trans fluid to come up thru the trans filler.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
If the tranny is overfilled, that could cause it to come up out the filler tube, and it'd also cause the spinning parts to get the fluid full of bubbles, which would make it act funny during shifting.

check your fluid level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Drove the bird today. The fluid level was o.k.,didn't smell or look burnt. Still signs of fluid around trans filler.

I did a few part and full throttle test. At full throttle it's the same hesitating, jerking,and spinning tires like it wants to go, then go 1st gear hit 2nd hesitate then go deal. Part throttle, I eased pedal not to spin tires in 1st, car went, rpm's red lined hit 2nd spun teh tires, hesitated, rpm's fell then picked back up and the car went. While cruising I floored it, it hesitated for a split second, down shifted an took off.

Thru out the test there were no trans slips. I do have a bad shudder at part throttle when cruising between 20-40mph.

Should I use mercon v?
Could it be the TC is bad?

131,000k with same trans.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
For delayed forward engagement try the following:

1. Check fluid level and condition. Replace or fill as required.

2. Check the shift linkage and make sure it is not damaged or out of adjustment.

3. Your forward clutch may have improper pressures. Possibly the shift kit.

4. Check your fluid filter and seal. A plugged filter or bad seal can cause this problem. Verify that filter and seal are not damaged.

5. Check your main controls: 3-4 shift valve, bolts not torque to specification. Gaskets damaged, 2-3 or 1-2 accumulator seals, bore damage or stuck.

6. Check pump assembly: Bolts out of torque, porosity/ cross leaks, gaskets damaged, NO 3 or No 4 seal rings damaged.

7. Check forward clutch assembly: seals, piston damaged. Check for missing or damaged balls, friction elements damaged.

Have fun…

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
For shift timing early or late try the following:

Powertrain Electrical:
1. Problem can be electrical inputs/ outputs, vehicle wiring harness, power train control module, shift solenoids, EPC solenoid, TFT sensor, OSS. There are some pinpoint tests for these but I do not think you will need them.

Transmission:
1. Tire sizes, axle ratio changes can effect shift timing.
2. Check fluid level and condition.
3. Check transmission pressures. These can be effected by a shift kit or an chip.

Main controls:
1. EPC solenoid can be stuck or damaged hydraulically or mechanically.
2. Valves accumulators, seats stuck or damaged or misassembled.
3. Gaskets damaged.
4. Solenoid screen (in valve body) blocked or damaged.

Have fun…

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't had the chance to go in the trans yet,I've been waiting on my new trans pan, but you said that the filter or seal can cause this behavior. I noticed, when I put the new filter in that it did not fit as snug as the old one,was kind-of sagging. I was just over in tech article an read that if the trans filter doesn't have a good seal the pump will suck air.

Might be whats wrong, don't know. I'll find out this weekend when I redo the valve body.

What sarcasm
:zbash:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts