TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '96, I'm adding about 1 cup of coolant a day. I'm driving over 60 mi. per day. This morning popped the hood, cranked her up and watched....and watched.....and THEN.... noticed anti-freeze dripping, not pouring, but dripping from both sides of my radiator shrouds (plastic sides attatched to rad) There is no clear evidence as to exactly where the leak is coming from, but all i know is that the coolant is collecting at the bottom, naturally, and dripping from both sides! Now i've had my share of cooling probs. w/ these birds, but im not really sure what this is? Don't know if theres holes in my rad, hoses are new, and no apparent leaks elsewhere. I DO NOT want to toy with that Hole filler stuff from BARS TM, if there are no holes. Any suggestions? By the way it's good to be back on board with you people!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
sounds like the only fix is a new radiator.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if there is a way to test the radiator's fasteness. Without having shop labor done on it. My rad. appears to be in good condition. I know appearences mean almost nothing with our birds, but man i just can't shell out 400 smackers, if it is something novice. If there are holes in it, then i should be able to perform a pressure test or something right?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
do a pressure test. i got a new one from advance auto for about $200

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
$400? Why? A new radiator from Radiator Express is $135. Probably take a couple hours to replace it in the driveway with just hand tools. Add $20 for "incidentals" like antifreeze, but then you're already spending that. ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! I haven't got quoted $400 or anything. That how much it cost me about 5 yrs ago. Of course i'm no longer in the loop with current things anymore. i live in seclusion, about 100 mi. from anything. it's pretty nice. Thanks guys. So about $200 bucks and i can just replace the damn thing! How do i go about diong a pressure test?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more question...... My A/C works fine but is it normal for the compressor to shut off intermittently? While i had my hood up i turned the A/C on to normal (not MAX), and there's my compressor going, then stopping, then going again. Almost seemed intervally. Any thoughts? Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, it is normal under certain conditions for the AC to cycle like that. Depending on the ambient temp, AC high side pressure, and other things it can cycle, excessive cycling can also signal things like a low charge.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
when mine does that i charge it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As in charge the refrigerant? i wonder if i have the old or new system. how can i tell?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
yeah. the person at advanced told me " if it's out where you can buy it, it's the new. if you have to ask for it, it's old." worked for me. your's is a 96 so it's new.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Mine was leaking at the plastic parts as well. I took mine to Lester's Radiator repair in Gainesville (GA). $45 and one day later I picked up my refurbished radiator. I have put about 30K miles on it with no problems.
I realize that Gainesville might be a little far to drive from Powder Springs but my point is that you can probably have it repaired for a lot less than buying a new one if you check around where you live.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
it would be on for about 10 seconds, go off for about 5 seconds and continually do this the whole time i was driving. at a light, i could watch my tach go down every few seconds when it kicked off/on.

·
5,650 Posts
it would be on for about 10 seconds, go off for about 5 seconds and continually do this the whole time i was driving. at a light, i could watch my tach go down every few seconds when it kicked off/on.
Have you considered finding and fixing the leak? After a point it will become more expensive to keep adding refrigerant than to fix what could just be a $3 o-ring.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i know nothing about how it works. i know a $20 can of refrigerant will last me a whole year until i need it again. like i said, i have no idea about anything a/c related. this is one thing i would have a shop look at, and i have no money for that. hence my $20 fix

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
$400? Why? A new radiator from Radiator Express is $135. Probably take a couple hours to replace it in the driveway with just hand tools. Add $20 for "incidentals" like antifreeze, but then you're already spending that. ;)
Don't forget $$$ for the :zbeer: got to keep yourself cool too. :D

Disclaimer: Just don't take it for a test drive when you're done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts