·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey guys, I just picked up my 1997 Thunderbird LX

-60,000 original miles
-3.8 V6, auto
-near mint

I bought it from a dealership, but the owners elderly father was the only previous owner of the car, and its got a folder full of receipts from taking it to the Ford dealership for everything.... It sat on his lot for about 5 months at $4999, then it was dropped to $3999... and after about 3 hours of talking and an offer of $3000 cash, I drove this beauty home. The only advice ive gotten so far is stock up on headgaskets and transmissions :\

Oh well, :zbeer:

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
nice...nice colored...must be in nice good condition...original miles?...ha im the 3rd owner...

welcome to the boards..lemme be the first person to say this to you

it can be very addicting

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
welcome aboard, jeff. love the avatar :D couple things i noticed: what are the black things in front the headlights? and your wheels are on backwards :zwall:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
big mike said:
what are the black things in front the headlights?
Deer whistles. Supposed to make deer get out of your way with "ultra high pitched sounds"......

They dont work. :)

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
AEDM8 said:

Deer whistles. Supposed to make deer get out of your way with "ultra high pitched sounds"......

they do work, but the front of the car never gets a direct current of air to operate them properly ;)

Anyways, got any questions about your car, just ask. There are plenty of people here who are willing to help out with ANYTHING.

-Thomas

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
AEDM8 said:
yeah i guess i could imagine why they dont work. you're driving along at night, bambi decides to cross the road, your headlights blind her, those black things emit a noise, bambi goes "what the hell is that noise?" and looks around, and then bam! :uppoint:

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
big mike said:

yeah i guess i could imagine why they dont work. you're driving along at night, bambi decides to cross the road, your headlights blind her, those black things emit a noise, bambi goes "what the hell is that noise?" and looks around, and then bam! :uppoint:
hahah i never got what happened to bambi's mom...hmmm

·
8,239 Posts
that 97 won't blow the headgaskets. They upgraded the headgasket material for 96-97 and its a rare problem for that year motor.

JH

·
Registered
799 Posts
Where in WI are you? There are a few of us who post here.

Check out www.uppermidwestthundercats.com when you get a chance.

First mod.....dump the 3.8. Get a 4.6. I know I just opened up a can of worms with a few people here, but unless you plan on some serious mods and a lot of cash, that 3.8 don't hunt.

·
8,239 Posts
sounds like he just needs a nice daily driver. That 3.8 tbird will last a long time and work well for him. Not everybody is building a dragster.

JH

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Congrats! Nice car, looks clean! Now flip the whitewalls inside and take off that front license plate holder! :)

The Ford 3.8 is a good motor. My old 88 T-Bird had 206k miles when I sold it to a girl, and she is still driving it - must be up to 225k by now!

Al

·
8,978 Posts
just because it's a 97 doesnt mean it wont blow the head gaskets, although it is very unlikely, he should still be cautious and take measures to protect against it.

It's true that the 3.8 isnt the fastest motor in the world, but with the right mods it's really not all that more expensive to mod. Cams for the 4.6L cost ten times as much as a reground performance cam for the 3.8. Ported heads can be had very cheaply. But, if he were to upgrade the transmissions and rearend before anything else, I'd bet it could see 15's, with a 3000rpm stall converter and 3.73's

-Thomas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BlackCat94 said:
It's still sunny with leaves on the trees in Wisconsin? :confused: I'm moving.

Deer whistles, ha
ahh yeah, the pic was taken a few months back by the dealership, for online advertisments. It still looks exactly the same though. Im from Wisconsin Rapids, about 15 min south of Stevens Point.

Thats excellent news about the headgasket revisions of my year though too, I was pretty worried about them after hearing that. No problems or questions about her yet, and yeah, what with the deer whistles, whitewalls, and the compass on the dash this was clearly owned by an older person.. :wiggle:

·
8,978 Posts
Just make sure the coolant is fresh, flush if needed. Old coolant breaks down the material of the head gaskets.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
jeffQ said:
It still looks exactly the same though. Im from Wisconsin Rapids
The car or the scenery? ;) I'm from Northern MN and it's cold & miserable here. I hope to pass through your area on the way down South to where it truly is warm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BlackCat94 said:

The car or the scenery? ;) I'm from Northern MN and it's cold & miserable here. I hope to pass through your area on the way down South to where it truly is warm.
The car :D

I actually got the car in rural Illinois, whilst visting some reletives over thanksgiving

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
congrats on the car. At a later date I would consider swaping a 99 and up mustang 3.8 split port motor. It will give you 50 aditional hp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts