TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't find what i wanted in search so I'll just ask. I'm goin to do an HG job on my tbird when it warms up and wanted to know if I need any specialty tools or will my old craftsmans work? and what all parts will have to be removed to get to the heads. Anyhelp will be appreciated

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
inch and foot-lb torque wrenches, haynes manual, standard and metric sockets (regular and deep) and wrenches, and beer (or juice since you are underage ;)). there's more, i just listed the basics.

you need to remove everything that is bolted to the heads and everything above it. take off the acessories too. you dont have to disconnect a/c and ps lines, just let the compressor and ps pump hang carefully out of the way. you can tie them up to something.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yup, like BigMike said, you'll need a torque wrench. As for tools, most everything will be 8,10,13,15, and 18 mm. There's some torx bolts holding the fuel rail. Get the fuel line/AC line disconnect tools (very cheap) and I recommend getting a couple of taps and dies:

8mm x 1.25 and 10mm x 1.5

And one last thing. I got a 15mm shallow socket built into a knuckle from sears. This was really helpful on the upper intake bolt on the back. Go take a look, it's right up against the firewall (the others are all 10mm bolts). You dont have to have it but it's nice when you want to torque it back to spec when you're putting it back together.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
word, and if you got the money haynes recomends some specialty tools regarding the heads. for taking the springs off and all. you'll want to do a compression test afterwards which you can rent the tool or buy it. other than that, just pray that everything else in the motor is in good shape, and the gaskets and heads are all that need attention.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Have the heads looked at because they could be cracked and then that meens you wasted time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts