TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen all the stuff floating around about some magic device you can make that makes your car run on water by converting it to hydrogen? I googled it and there is loads of stuff on it. Is this some stupid joke, or is there some truth to it?

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
No its not a joke. But you dont run on just hydrogen. You put a hydrogen generator, its about the size of a thermos, under your hood. you fill it with a baking soda mix and distilled water. It attatches to your battery and through electrolisis it makes a Hydrogen gas that you feed into your intake tube and it mixes with you air before your throttle body. In turn you will use less gasoline, because Hydrogen is very combustable, more so than gasoline. It burns cleaner and hotter. They say you can expect anywhere from a 15% to 30% increase in fuel milage. And it costs anywhere from $300-1500.

Its not really that new of a technology, people have been doing this for a good decade now. But they have greatly increased the safety and build quality of the generators.

C.Hill

·
Registered
903 Posts
I saw one at the dyno shop, it was just in a glass jar, plastic lid. Not exactly rocket science the way it looked. I went back a few weeks later, and saw it sitting on the shelf, asked the tuner if he tried it. He said they hooked it up to his stock 5.0 'stang, and barley noticed a difference, not enough to validate the hassle.

Just what I heard

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
I saw one at the dyno shop, it was just in a glass jar, plastic lid. Not exactly rocket science the way it looked. I went back a few weeks later, and saw it sitting on the shelf, asked the tuner if he tried it. He said they hooked it up to his stock 5.0 'stang, and barley noticed a difference, not enough to validate the hassle.

Just what I heard
Well they may have been just toying around with it.
Try this link http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/

Also what does he mean by 'barely noticed" because you could gain 2mpg and not notice anything. But over a year you would notice in your bank account. And the generators I speak of are made of stainless steel.

C.Hill

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well in the video that was on the site he used a saturn, aka 1.9l 4 cyl. If you were going to do it for a v8, wouldnt you need twice as much hydrogen since the engine would be using twice, if not more than 2x the air needed for it to run?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I remember reading an article in one of my dad's "Popular Mechanics" or "Popular Science" magazines in the late70s/early 80s about this guy who converted his station wagon to run on hydrogen. He would hold a glass under the downspout of his sidepipes (Yes!! Sidepipes on a wagon!) and it would dribble water into the cup. He even drank it to prove it was water.....
Even seen this on TV recently, like within the last year. Some guy did the same thing to his modern car.

I imagine these two guys and a whole bunch of other innovative people who tinkered with "ultimate fuel economy" successfully are now playing Hide and Seek with Jimmy Hoffa, 'cause where are they now? Huh? Why isn't the rest of the world benefiting from their work? You know why.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the systems are too small to make any real impact. In order to make enough hydrogen, it would have to take up your whole trunk and have it's own alternator.

·
Registered
792 Posts
the systems are too small to make any real impact. In order to make enough hydrogen, it would have to take up your whole trunk and have it's own alternator.
my dad has his hho thing on our geo tracker and he sees a 5mpg difference(+) so it works for us but no one belives me

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
thats what, a 1.5? 1.6L? make the system six times bigger for three times the gas, for a smaller gain in a t-bird...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
It is nothing new and has been around for decades.

I have seriously been thinking of toying around with that for my Aspire. The question I have is does the EEC have to be retuned or does it just lean out the gasoline by way of the O2 sensor? I haven’t been able to get a warm and fuzzy answer.

Keep in mind my Aspire has a 1.3L, so it would be a perfect candidate. Even a 10% increase in fuel economy would be a 4 mpg gain. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts