TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i have a 95 4.6 lx....just recently the temperature gauge has started jumping erratically from normal to borderline high...i have checked hoses...no leaks....i have checked water punp..no noise or leaks....i havent checked the thermostat<changed it> or the sending unit??...any info will help before i start process of elimination replacing things...and happy new year all and have a gr8 week!
tsgt ricky martin,u.s.a.f.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Check to make sure the fan comes on like it should. Could also be the temp sensor in the intake.

Jay

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi all,
the fan comes on as should...however i do smell antifreeze but do not see any leaks...weird!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is thread hijack, but it is similar so I didn't think a new thread was needed... A while ago, my '97 4.6L (52,000mi) temp gage started to kinduv "freeze" in the middle of the range, never dropped to cold, engine runs fine so never goes much above center. I replaced the sending unit with a new one from NAPA and for a couple of weeks, all seemed good, needle dropped to zero as soon as I started the car, worked up to middle ground and stayed there as it should. Lately, it's back to its old trix: doesn't move MUCH, always in the middle, never cold, even after a weekend of sitting unused. The gague does however move within the midrange. Today, on the way home I noticed it was rising a bit higher than I normally see it (to about opposite 27-29mph, typically just around 25mph, occasionally as low as 20mph on the adjacent speedo), but then it went back down. I was on the interstate, travelling between 65 - 80mph, outside temps were low 70's. When I got home, I popped the hood, and noticed the radiator fan only running when the A/C compressor kicked in (dash knob was set on MaxAC, temp at about 8:00 position, cabin fan at lowest setting. Question: should fan at radiator run constantly when MAX A/C setting is selected (or def or floor/def, or plain AC .. iow, anything but 'floor')? Or only when compressor kicks in? Iow, is the radiator fan activated by the dash knob or by the compressor switch under the hood?

PS -- stealership replaced plastic intake with new one with aluminum crossover back in early November, new Tstat, "valley hose," & cooling system was flushed & pressure tested after, no problems noted, and car runs great, never overheats, just PITA dash temp gauge behavior!!!

Any ideas??

:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts