TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well, i recieved the same kit as did Porkchops (Mike). Except I have the 6000k kit. So I decided I would post up some pictures for yall to see. I will have more seeing as we just bought a digital video camcorder tonight, but we forget to get the firewire cable..oops. So anyways, here you go. These were taken on two seperate nights...Silverstars vs HID. Sorry, it was raining tonight...but im sure you will get the idea.

On front of hood - Silverstar

On front of hood - HID

On back of hood - Silverstar

On back of hood - HID

On roof - Silverstar

On roof - HID

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
???

Although they're probably illegal, the HID system has a far greater light output than the Silverstars. I don't see how the Silverstars are better, other than the fact that they're cheaper and legal.

·
Registered
323 Posts
SVT2888 said:
I prefer the Silverstars.
no kinding they go farther

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im guessing you meant no kidding. and honestly, they shoot them about the same distance. The HIDs illuminate the area more intensly as opposed to the silverstars.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got em off ebay from a guy in ceritos (sp) cali. ZGPerformance is his name if i remember correctly. I like the 6000k kit, it has a light hint of blue. But i wouldnt mind if i even had the 5000k kit. i think those put out a little more light. overall im happy.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
97mn-12 said:
The HIDs illuminate the area more intensly as opposed to the silverstars.
that's a bad thing.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
wow cool to see this is catching on..next time take pics in a dark dark parking lot. then people will see more of a difference. man 6000k? dam thats bright. i prefer the color off my kit tho imo. if i was going for a whiter light your kit would of been perfect.

on a side note of blinding people. anyone notice the lights off the silverstars were blinding off peoples licsense plates and street signs? and with the hid it was brighter but cleaner? with my silverstars i couldnt read the street signs they were so bright but with the hids the light is brighter but cleaner. funny how no one notcied that. and dont tell me cuz of a different angle seeing how he took the pics in the same angles ie: on hood and roof

-Mike

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
can the hids really b illegal since a lot of cars come factory equipped with them? and yes its a fact hids r better than the silverstar wich r simulated hids. the ones that bash hids r just tryin to start an argument. i have never been blinded by hids either. although i can notice them from farther away.
anyway they look awesome and u will enjoy driving at night with a much better view. especially along the sides of the road. they really bring out the eyes of animals. :) how bout some pics of the front of the car? they look really cool compared to halogen.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
thunderbirdlver said:
can the hids really b illegal since a lot of cars come factory equipped with them?
No, HID lights are not illegal. Yes, the retrofit kits for halogen housings and lenses are 100% illegal and perform worse at their function than the halogen bulbs (although they look brighter on what they can light up). The cars that come factory equipped have housings and lenses designed for the light output of HID which is vastly different than the light output of halogen. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
You can even tell by looking at the pictures, sure..the HIDs are definetly alot brighter then the Silverstars, but the beam of the silverstars look so much more uniform and not scattered around. The HID beam just looks....blah

Just get an upgraded wiring harness and halogen lights wont be a problem, I drive all night for work and i cant stand those cars with HID kits, they are BLINDING, i've got to shield my eyes.

·
8,239 Posts
4200k is the optimal color temperature for the highest light output. Anything beyond that is just getting into blues then purples, then eventually blacklight.

Now the higher color temperature you go, the more color you get out of the beam, but less light output. Thats why the silverstars look better, because they are better, just not as blingy as blue hids.

Also putting hid bulbs in a halogen lamp will just throw a ton of glare, this is because the lamp is designed to reflect halogen light and the hid light is more powerful, so it just throws light all over the place, instead of concentrating it in a beam like an oem hid would.

An oem hid seutp is far more than just a bulb and a ballast, its a auto leveler, aimer, and the housing and projector are custom designed for a hid lamp.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The HID beam just looks....blah
I agree.

They look like they would blind the driver of the car itself.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
JustinH said:
Also putting hid bulbs in a halogen lamp will just throw a ton of glare, this is because the lamp is designed to reflect halogen light and the hid light is more powerful, so it just throws light all over the place, instead of concentrating it in a beam like an oem hid would.
this is half true. look at the design of the 89-95 housings and what do you see. you see a halogen bulb aimed at a lens that spans the light itself. that is why you will get the glare. yes there is a slight glare when i upgraded to the 96+ lights but it was a dramatic change over the 95 headlights. why might you ask? the 96+ headlights dont project the light the same way as the 89-95 ones do. its a clear lens that has none of those tiny reflectors or anything on it. the light actually goes throw the back of the housing and then goes back out through the middle. how do i know its concentrated on the middle? cuz i noticed it was brighter towards the middle and not on the outsides. how bout some proof? welllllll these pics are with the same bulbs taken on different days but at the same time of night towards the same angle WITH the flash on. the flash will help dim the picture and try to see the difference between the 2 setups:

which one has more glare? of course my 95 headlights had more. yes they are blinding. now is there that much of a glare on the 96+ headlights than the 95 ones? its waayyyyy different. even notice that the outer parts on the inside of the 96+ lights are a little dim? maybe cuz theres less light on the outer parts seeing how its being aimed towards the middle. in person its like that also and no matter what angle your at the outer parts arent blinding.

not trying to put anyone down or make a fool out of but i believe what i see with my OWN eyes and not the words of people that DONT have the kits themselves ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

-Mike

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I'll take the word of someone with a degree in lighting and one that knows how to use measuring equipment instead of someone who doesn't and just says "it looks better to me". Try reading the link posted above and you'll see how wrong you are.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
nope sorry it doesnt take a person with a degree in light to tell the difference between whats blinding and whats not. i dont mean any disrespect to anyone but still i dont care how many degree's someone has. all it takes is to look at the light housing, and the beam pattern itself. and yes i read that link posted above very carefully before i got the kit.

oh and since we are using professionals let ME use one that might actually everyone might want to hear from. *my neighbor*...lol
he is a LAPD detective and has been working with law for a long time and is studying to be a lawyer. anyways when i DID have my 95 lights with the hid's he soon came over *since it was aimed at his house hehe* and told me that they were waaaayyyyy to bright and actually blinded him. told him where i got it and i asked if he saw me on the road would he pull me over and he replied yes. then a week later i did the 96+ headlight swap and he was actually outside with his kids when i was puttin the kit on the newer headlights. i asked him to come over and he asked me how i dimmed the light......ummm...i didnt its the same bulb just different housing..i soon got excited and asked him would i get pulled over with my new setup and he said he doubted it.

ill take the word over a detective that has had experience with pulling people over for illegal lighting than someone who studies light. no offense and i dont want to start a war here

-Mike

·
Registered
300 Posts
damn the pics of the headlights are blinding even on the computer i think i got a headache now...................looks awsome tho i wish i had the money for HIDs <---(that sounds like a std by the way lmao) for when i buy my 95 LHS.. I guess i will go with silverstars unless anyone knows what will look like HIDs without the cost...

I love it tho man looks awsome
JAY

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mike, how come in the second picture all the lights are dim including the turn signal and the park light?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts