TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do all the shops want $1500 to swap out gears?

Claim it takes them 7.9 hours to do it.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
971 Posts
Rebuilding the entire unit with new bearings and everything? Did that include the parts, or just labor. Removing the case, swapping gears and doing a proper setup would take a good half a day. I could see how a book would say 7.9 hours.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
That's not terribly bad, it'd not like you could swap it yourself in 8 hours.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
The Parts Guy
7,788 Posts
Setting up gears is simple, but it can certainly be time consuming. If you're at all inclined, I recommend picking up the few specialized tools that you'll need and learning how to do so yourself. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
If you wanted to do the hard part, you could remove the diff yourself and just have them do the gears and bearings. That’s what I’ve done in the past.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
I got a discount for showing them the easy way to remove all that stuff; I got it, the ds, the rear halfshafts, and the trans swapped for $300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I could see several hours if it's one person, it's done properly and inspected thoroughly from the axles to bushings then replacing gears, verifying clearances/shimming/contact and so on. But then again not something I do on the daily and it's been years

·
Registered
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
8 Posts
I wouldn’t touch a ring and pinion unless someone who absolutely knows what they are doing was right there. Taking pictures of grease patterns, etc is ok, but if something isn’t right, you can easily ruin the diff. I would absolutely form over the money to a pro which something to stand behind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts