TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, before you say, get rid of the cats. I live 30 minutes out of chicago. So therefore i have to do emitions. So i need cats on the car. But my question is. Even though with the high flow cats ive heard that there is a possibility of not passing emitions. Is this true? Or when i have them installed have the shop box/bag the stock cats to throw back on when emitions comes around? Another thing, will the high flow cats make a difference in my 60 foot or 1/4 time? I know that it adds flow. And i already have a 2.5" cat back. Should i have them just convert the exhaust to true duel and keep the 2.5" headers back with high flow cats? Then when i have the money get the headers for my car?

Another thing, what kind of sound difference can i expect?

Thanks
Andrew Z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
i would pick up some carsound cats. They work well, and are legal everywhere except california, so you should not have an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
techanically, but it should still pass smog, so its a moot point anyway.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,663 Posts
Actually, high flow cats are just as efficient at removing pollutants as the factory ones, if not more efficient. You would probably fail in california just because when they look under the car, it won't be factory cats, however that is not to say that it wouldn't pass the sniffer with flying colors. Just to give you an idea, I live in NJ which has the same standards as california, only they aren't retarded with the visual inspection. My 94 cougar has 2 high flow cats and the third cat gutted and EGR shut off completely. When I went and got inspected, it passed just fine. The HC and CO were both under 10% of the allowed amount, and the Nox reading was like 700 and the standard was like 900. I say just get some good 3 way high flow cats welded in place of the stock front 2 and then remove the third cat and you'll have better flow and sound and still be able to pass emisssions just fine.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
eg0r said:
yeah i was thinking the same thing
if they flow better then they dont filter as much stuff right?
if so then a car with high flows would score worst in emission testing then car with stock cats right? :S
They arnt a filter, they are a catalyst. That means they aid in a chemical reaction. Which really just means they make the leftover stuff in your exhaust burn again to make it cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Im kind of in the same boat...

I have found 3 carsound cats that i'm not sure which ones to go for...

Part#'s
53035
91035
94035

All are 2.25".

Anyone know which one I should be using for a true dual set up on a 1992 5.0L Cougar?
 

·
Newbie
Joined
·
5,650 Posts
The first 2 you mentioned aren't rated to support the displacement of your engine. Here are the ones that are.

93535 (Large Oval)
94035 (Standard Oval)
94135 (Short Oval)

If I were you I'd probably go with the standard or short so that the exhaust is able to tuck up nicely under the car, and you won't have to worry as much about clearances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
although they say the 43000 is california legal, they are not for our cars, they are not certified for our cars (pretty gay but i dont make the rules). Only vehicles that have exemptions that i kno of are the chevy trucks, dodge trucks, and jeeps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Which one... hohum...

master486 said:
The first 2 you mentioned aren't rated to support the displacement of your engine. Here are the ones that are.

93535 (Large Oval)
94035 (Standard Oval)
94135 (Short Oval)

If I were you I'd probably go with the standard or short so that the exhaust is able to tuck up nicely under the car, and you won't have to worry as much about clearances.
Ok.

Sizing makes sense, should make it easier. But will me going true dual not require me to sort of play with the test weight a bit? Cuz now im dividing the flow between two seperate pipes.

Also outside of space, are there any real differences between the ones you listed for flow or emmisions?

Thanks!
 

·
Newbie
Joined
·
5,650 Posts
cloud2or3 said:
But will me going true dual not require me to sort of play with the test weight a bit? Cuz now im dividing the flow between two seperate pipes.
No you don't have to worry about that. The 5.0 T-Bird had the cats divided before the flow of exhaust comes together from the factory, so you don't have to worry. Each converter is going to do as much as it can, and whether the exhaust comes together or not, the contents of the gas after the converter will still be the same. It'll just exit through one single pipe or two separate pipes. Do you get what I'm trying to say?

If I'm not mistaken, as long as the converter you select qualifies for both your engine size and test weight, you can use it without any problems (non-CA OBDII of course).
cloud2or3 said:
Also outside of space, are there any real differences between the ones you listed for flow or emmisions?
The only difference that matters to you is the physical size of the converter. The larger converter may be able to perform better than the smallest one listed there since there may be more catalyst surface area, but the important thing is that all perform well enough to meet EPA standards. That's all that matters. The size selection is based on what your needs are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Will high flow cats reduce the amount of heat that comes from under the car?

In the summer time I feeel like my arm is going to burn off from the heat coming form under my Cougar an radiating up the door.

Aslo, where can I find the Carsound cats? I was looking at the Catco ones that Summit Racing sells but I would rather go with what is recomnded by everyone here:)
 

·
Newbie
Joined
·
5,650 Posts
LOLA said:
Will high flow cats reduce the amount of heat that comes from under the car?
No unless your current cats are plugged up.

LOLA said:
Aslo, where can I find the Carsound cats? I was looking at the Catco ones that Summit Racing sells but I would rather go with what is recomnded by everyone here:)
I'd go with Summit, but that's just my preference. I don't know any other good dealers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Two words...

Performance Peddler.

And DO call, or email. you will get much better pricing even compared to their web pricing, which is already better than most places.

DO IT...DO IT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
cloud2or3 said:
Performance Peddler.

And DO call, or email. you will get much better pricing even compared to their web pricing, which is already better than most places.

DO IT...DO IT.
I'll 2nd taht. Put in an offer lower than you think, you may be suprized!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top