TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my car back on the road after almost 3 years with the car sidelined. I was simply installing a new intake manifold but other things get in the way with only being able to work on weekends...things get put on the backburner :) It was running fine, no issues before the swap outside of the smell of coolant and a leak. No idle issues, no grinding from the wheels.

Ok, got it all together tonight and she started right up (had her on a trickle charger for all that time). But the idle kicked up to 1500 and won't come back down. Could the IAC have gone bad in that time? I've been doing some research and didn't come up with that on my own :)

I also replaced a cracked vacuum hose. I guess a vacuum leak could do it as well, right? I wonder if there's another leak, but there aren't all that many hoses I'm thinking. Do i spray carb cleaner in the area to see if it changes the idle?

Oh, one more thing...there is a light grinding while driving from the wheels...rusted rotors? Do I need to change the pads after all this time? Gas seems ok so far but I put Seafoam in the tank and had a preservative if I remember right.

RW

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The rotors will have some rust on them that will take a few trips around the block to scrape off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the quick analysis on these issues.

I did unplug the IAC. Nothing changed. So I figured here's the issue. I took it off and ran some carb cleaner through it. Installed it making sure that the gasket was handled with care. No change, though the idle was a touch lower, 1300 instead of 1500. It relieved my mind to realize, no vacuum leaks as that is a nightmare on the RX7's which I have my share of.

In any case, it then occurred to me that someone had said to tap it to see if that would do anything. Sure enough, knocking it with a hammer (lightly) did cause the idle to drop to 1000. Knocking again a couple of times caused it to go to 800 or so on the tach. It was warmed up by this time too.

Hopefully, when I get back to it this weekend, it will be working, otherwise, I'll be looking for another IAC.

Ralf

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry, I haven't been to this board in a while...a couple of years ago there was a lot of fighting and just plain meanness here.

All that to say...I don't know Jon. I did go to Advance Auto parts. $55.69 so with my 10% military discount its a little cheaper. With a 20% employee discount a friend has it gets better. No telling the quality of "Wellcraft" parts...I think that's what it said.

Ralf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.