TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this may be minor, but i'd like to know what caused it. last night i get home and put the car in park. i notice that it's idling at 1500rpm, where it's normally ~800rpms at idle. i try to rev it to see if it would kick down. no go. try putting it back into gear and it engages firmly and goes to 1000rpms. put it in neutral, rev it up to 4000 and it still goes back to 1500. so i put it in park and shut it off. waited about 15 seconds, and fired it back up. it was now idling at 800rpm where it normally does. no problems since. any ideas? isolated incident?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i'll clean the MAF tonight. never looked into the IAC. where would i find it? cleanable, or has to be replaced?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, and it was raining at the time. could water have been splashed up onto the MAF? i have a K&N panel, with silencer removed

·
5,650 Posts
The water thing is highly unlikely. The IAC is on top of the throttle body. You can clean it with carb cleaner but sometimes they are too far gone and must be replaced. If it ever does the high idle thing and you have time, tap on the IAC and if the idle changes then for sure it is the IAC.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh, ok then. can it be cleaned in the same fashion as the MAF?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Its really easy, I just cleaned mine because I had a rough idle that would stall out, did the IAC first didnt help, ended up being the maf. To clean the IAC just unbolt the 2 bolts holding it down, carefully remove it so you dont ruin the gasket plastic(ish) unplug it and take it over a shop rag and spray the hell out of it with TB cleaner, I turned it upside down and filled it with the spray and let it soak. I dumped it on the towel and got a blackish brown stain from all the dirt, do this a few times and you should be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts