TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had some work done to my car my mechanic advised my not to even touch my tranny with 110,000 since it runs fine now. I wanted to update the accumulators and switch it over to mercon v and add a 24k b&m tranny cooler.

What would you do?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Quote from Silver95Bird:
A lot of people take a tranny that was 95% worn out, and change the fluid in a last ditch effort to save it. Then the tranny wears out, and they blame it on the fluid change. It's not the fluid change, its the high mileage with poor maintenance that failed the tranny. I'm not flaming you in any way, this is just a common thing we see around here. Some people dont think these things through.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32147

The question is how well has the tranny been maintained up til now? If it's been changed every 30,000 like it should, I wouldn't hesitate to change the fluid. If it's got 110,000 miles and has never been changed... you might as well start saving for a new one. Nobody would ever run an engine for 110,000 miles without a oil/filter change, but people forget the trannies.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
95tbird2117 said:
When I had some work done to my car my mechanic advised my not to even touch my tranny with 110,000 since it runs fine now. I wanted to update the accumulators and switch it over to mercon v and add a 24k b&m tranny cooler.

What would you do?
I added a B&M 24000 cooler 14 months ago, at about 200,000 miles. I did the J-mod, and went to synthetic fluid last August, at about 227,000 miles. Like Silver95Bird asked, how's the maintenance been on the transmission on your car? I've not had any problems, but I did do a few routine transmission fluid/filter changes before the upgrades...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see thats the thing I don't know. The car was a repo and there isn't even a owners manual in the glove box so who knows. I think one thing worth mentioning is the brake pedal is hardly worn actually it almost looks new.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hmm, my car's got 67k on it. I doubt the fluid's ever been changed, though I hope to rectify that soon. Any point in bothering or just start saving?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
67k is a lot different than 110k. I'd get Mercon V /cooler on there soon. THe 11/94+ cars have a better TC, which also helps tranny life.

·
Registered
390 Posts
1/94. Figures. Though if I'd thought about it, there's no way it could have been a '94 and still had a 11/94+ manuf date.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
My T-Bird had two tranny fluid changes during it's first 110,000 miles. I switched over to MerconV and did the J-Mod at 140,000 miles. Just turned 200,700 miles, and has never been rebuilt. It is my daily interstate driver, averaging 23,000 miles per year.

NO auxiliary cooler, either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I talked to the tranny shop I was going to have change my fluid and they are wanting 120 to do it with the merc v and he said 100 just for the install on the cooler. haha. Now I think I might just wait until I can find a warm place to do it and do it myself. I was doing some searching and it looks like I can change it myself for like 50 with merc v and a new filter right?

It seems the smartest to bypass the radiator tranny cooler. With my B&M 24k cooler what exactly do I need to purchase to bypass the radiator. This spring I might get the cobra radiator.

Rolling-Thunder said:
My T-Bird had two tranny fluid changes during it's first 110,000 miles. I switched over to MerconV and did the J-Mod at 140,000 miles. Just turned 200,700 miles, and has never been rebuilt. It is my daily interstate driver, averaging 23,000 miles per year.

NO auxiliary cooler, either.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Living where you do I wouldn't bypass the radiator as it also serves to bring the fluid up to temp in winter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok....I am starting to round up the parts that I need to do this. I have been searching and can't come up with a good way to do this install.....First priority is saftey...after reading some posts it made me visualize spining out in front of a semi or something crazy.

So right now I'm assuming that I need to splice into the top line.

I have an assortment of fittings/clamps that came with the b&m 24k cooler can I use these?

thanks

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Yes there should be a brass fitting that screws right into the radiator, by the battery, it's included in the kit.

And if you're just doing the less than 300hp J-Mod there's no problem with it. I don't think you will spin out in front of anything with the medium or high settings either, but it's kind of overkill for your application.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok...So I unsrew the top line second fitting and insert the brass fitting that came with the kit and run the rubber line to the cooler. Then take the other peice that I buy from autozone from the cooler to the line? Should I just slide it over the line and put a few hose clamps on it?

BlackCat....no I'm not even doing the j-mod yet....What I meant was I don't want tranny fluid squirting/seeping from the connections. Fluid and rubber=spinout

thanks for the reply though

BlackCat94 said:
Yes there should be a brass fitting that screws right into the radiator, by the battery, it's included in the kit.

And if you're just doing the less than 300hp J-Mod there's no problem with it. I don't think you will spin out in front of anything with the medium or high settings either, but it's kind of overkill for your application.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You'll likely want to get a new fitting to replace the one on the line itself - unless you find a fitting with Loooooong threads. the Ford design is the weirdest thing ive ever seen for a fitting like that. when you unscrew it from the radiator youll see what I mean. I got a normal 5/16" fitting and replaced the one on the line, then the B&M stuff bolted up easy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I need to unscrew the second fitting and cut the end off with a small pipe cutter.....I forget what the tool is called to taper the end of the line....and put a 5/16" fitting on it?

how many quarts will I need of Merc V?

13?

Reuse the stock gasket on the tranny pan....

When I had my 94 z I changed the filter and a little plastic piece stayed in the top of it.....are these filters a biatch to change?

I just don't want any surprises when I do this being a daily driver......can't have any more down time ie that stupid oil sending unit problem I had....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts