TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The recent ford crown victoria police interceptors have a high output alternator conservatively rated at 200amps. This is a really powerful alternator that will actually output close to 250amps under ideal conditions. The alternator also has a one-way overrunning clutch on it to eliminate belt chirp during hard acceleration transmission shifts and lower load on the intake manifold crossover where the upper alternator bracket mounts.

Wrecked police cars are common at the salvage yards and parts are not usually terribly expensive to purchase from them either. Since ford thunderbirds have 4.6L engines like the ford crownvic, you can likely adapt one of these alternators to fit in your car. I figured out how to get the alternator to work as a standalone unit without a crownvic powertrain control module present. However, you will still need to figure out something for the top mounting bracket and a higher guage alternator output wire.

An alternator from a wrecked 2009 crown victoria police interceptor

The alternator mounted to a late 1990's crownvic engine. All the ford 4.6L engines have the two lower alternator mounting stud holes in the same location.

For temporary testing purposes, i just enlarged the alternator charging post hole in the ring terminal lug with an electric drill.

Here's my circuit to get the alternator voltage regulator to powerup the field coil and set the alternator voltage setpoint somewhere in the 14V-15V range. This is an off the shelf mx066 motor speed pwm controller avaliable from bakatronics for around $25.

a graph of generator rotation speed vs output amperage

more documentation on this project is avaliable here:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/alternator/mitsubishi/upgrade

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Going back to the good old external regulator days :D That is awesome. I always wondered how someone would make it work without the IPC. Congrats and I hope you dont get mad if I copy you since I am a total cheap ass.
-Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts