TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a high pitched whistling sound when I first start the engine every day and after it has been parked for several hours, which lasts several minutes. It doesn't vary much w/RPM or car speed. Seems to be at passenger side front of engine. No obvious problems w/steering or charging. More noticeable since blazing hot TX heat started. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My '95 4.6 was doing that from around 2015-2016. I couldn't find it, thought it was temperature related. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've heard that noise since I cleaned out the EGR tube back in January.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Rubber hose to ear or stethoscope(not sure don't own one) would help isolate the area.

High pitch, first thing to my mind is belts and pulleys and next is A/C compressor.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Check your vacuum lines..Especially the one going to the PCV valve..

If there's a hole in one of those vacuum lines, they can make a whistling sound..

Rayo..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rubber hose to ear or stethoscope(not sure don't own one) would help isolate the area.

High pitch, first thing to my mind is belts and pulleys and next is A/C compressor.
I sprayed some WD-40 on the serpentine and the sound stopped. It may be that (it's about 5-6 years old). What do you think?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Could possibly be the EVAP valve system, that usually operates on engine start up, could be the valve is obstructed in a way that causes it to whistle lol?

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Idler pulley. Try replacing the idler pulley or the belt tensioner that MCM51 mentioned. You'll probably also want to replace the belt.

If you can't trace it to a vacuum leak look at the pulleys.

#1 is the Idler pulley
#2 is the alternator
#3 is the other Idler shown on the right above
#4 is the Power Steering pump
#5 is the water pump
#6 is the crank
#7 is the tensioner pulley
#8 is the AC compressor

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I sprayed some WD-40 on the serpentine and the sound stopped. It may be that (it's about 5-6 years old). What do you think?
WD40 is a solvent and NOT a lubricant.. and won't be doing anything rubber any favors.
You should spray silicone instead.
-g

1 - 11 of 11 Posts